• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Motherboard Apple IIe 820-0064-00 with 4 names engraved

Hi,
I have a motherboard Apple IIe 820-0064-00 (so without A or B revision) and in addition, there are 4 names written in place of WFB:
rice, broedner, macphee, auricchio.
Could you tell me about this motherboard?
Thanks

5330a92604939.jpg

5330a94c603d3.jpg

5330a6d13efa8.jpg

5330a9747475b.jpg

5330a981f3797.jpg

I don't understand why the green connector (normally "Aux connector") is noticed "Video connector"

It all looks to me like a well-made fake. It wouldn't be the first time I saw such an animal.

This looks like a IIe prototype to me. The chips on the board mostly date from 1982, the IIe was introduced in January of 1983. The ROMs are dated 1984, so may be the enhanced ROM. The handwritten 288 may be the serial number, and the part number having XXXX in it was common on prototypes.

The CPU is a 1984 65C02, so the ROMs dating from 1984 would make this an enhanced IIe... some of the chips date from 1981. And the production dates on the 1982 chips are all in the first two months....

The RAM chips have Apple logos on them, and were made in the 6th week (mid February) of 1982, by Motorola for Apple... the more I look at this, the more it says "prototype" than "clone".

Last edited:
It's the missing link! Here's a link to a photo of the 1981 "Super II" prototype: http://apple2history.org/wp-content/gallery/computers-prototypes/superii.jpg

As you can see, it's very similar to the above motherboard, including the "Video connector" slot. Also, note the "Broedner" and "Macphee" names on the Super II.

You pretty definitely have an Apple IIe prototype motherboard. The 620-XXXX part number is also on the "Super II" board.

Edit: More info here: http://apple2history.org/spotlight/super-ii-comments/

Thanks HoJoPo, I contacted Rick Aurrichio and answered me nicely:
"
Very cool; I forgot completely about that. It may have been removed in later revisions of the board.

The red LED will flash to show diagnostics running if there is no keyboard connected.

Also, there may be a small set of contacts at the edge of the board; that was my idea. For burn-in, the factory used to plug in a power supply and run the board for several hours in a "hot box" to be sure it didn't fail quickly. I suggested the power contacts on the edge of the board, so they could pack them more tightly, by putting edge-connectors (similar to the slots but smaller) on the back wall of the hot box.
"
"
I did the ROM code: the conversions to make the //e do its new things without affecting all the programs that knew where to jump into the ROM code. Walt Broedner did the main hardware design of the board and the large custom chips. I forget who Rick and McPhee were...it was 30 years ago!
"

Thanks

This looks like a IIe prototype to me. The chips on the board mostly date from 1982, the IIe was introduced in January of 1983.
Most of the //e's I've had in my possession have @1982 on the motherboard, and most, if not all, chips from 1982. The //e was first marketed in 1983, but they were making them in 1982.

@JonathanFrance:

Very cool! Now, I'm starting to wonder if the last one I saw with a case like that was also a prototype and not a clone.

Nice and precious early //e. Interesting MMU & IOU too. I am impressed.

Hi,
thanks for your answers, KC9UDX, do you think the case could be also a prototype? (the dimensions are exactly the same that the usual case of the Apple IIe)
George, yes, I'm also impressed, just for the anecdote, I thought it was just a clone and I left it in his carton in my mess. Just last week I remembered that the last owner known Steve Wozniak and that this computer was maybe not so a clone...
Thanks

I would assume the case is a prototype. In fact, the more I look at it, the more it looks exactly like the one I last passed up thinking it was a clone.

The area around the keyboard on a standard //e is recessed, yours has an "engraved" outline. The cover is different, and so is the cover opening. The keyboard is certainly different, and the keyboard opening appears to be shifted to the right compared to a standard //e, more like a ][ or ][+ would be. The hole where the power light is is also different. The recessed area for the logo is different as well. Also, on a standard //e, there are two recesses for the logo. I think the bevels around the outside are different too, though it's hard to tell.

I'm going from memory, so this may not be completely accurate.

What does the back of the case look like? Does it have many different sized rectangular holes like a //e, or, a small number of elongated "U" shaped holes like a ][?

Could you make more photos of the case? And from more aspects. And of the power supply?

Hi,
new photo without the motherboard, very yellow behind, under it there is a Apple II Europlus to compare.

5331dadd6d479.jpg

Ach, du Lieber! It is just like the one I passed up! I thought for sure it was a clone case that someone put an Apple motherboard in!

I have apple clones in very similar cases. Actually I have doubts about the case too.

Hello,
I think you did a mix-up, it's not mine. Mine was given to me (with others Apple computers) and it's in France.
But now we have the answer, the case is a clone.
Thanks.

Back