• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Where do you find your vintage gear from?

Amibay used to be another spot to hover around but I haven't been there for quite a while.

Mostly the local online auction or get given stuff. Don't mind paying a fare price for something I'm fond of. I do keep my focus quite narrow though and try not the go overboard. Well, her in doors might have a different opion on that point though ;).

One other point of caution, so many things are getting destroyed in shipping now adays I really do try to wait and find things within an acceptable driving distance instead of shipping monitors from other states. Smaller systems I don't mind or systems that are fairly protected. I haven't had one arrive shattered like most other folks but shipping an IBM monitor would make me nervous.

i can't stand good will prices anymore.. they reference ebay prices before they put things on the shelf.
vintage stuff, never there.
at a private thrift store, this week, i got a beautiful networked HP 2600N COLOR laser printer for $2.35. All it needs is a set of toner cartridges (4 generics for $62)

I think it's highly dependent on where in the world you live. I notice most of the respondents here are stateside, so Craigslist and local adverts have a relatively huge pool of advertisers. For me in Australia there is not much at all on Craigslist and only the occasional item (of interest to me) on Gumtree, a once-independent marketplace site now taken over and owned by eBay. So for me searching eBay AU, US and UK is the primary way in which I obtain things.

I think it's highly dependent on where in the world you live. I notice most of the respondents here are stateside, so Craigslist and local adverts have a relatively huge pool of advertisers. For me in Australia there is not much at all on Craigslist and only the occasional item (of interest to me) on Gumtree, a once-independent marketplace site now taken over and owned by eBay. So for me searching eBay AU, US and UK is the primary way in which I obtain things.

has anyone had any luck hitting up local recyclers that might allow one to pick through their old stuff? I tried calling a few but they didnt seem to happy with this idea.

No luck here with recyclers. I find that some mission stores have them in there back rooms. They have no way to test them and recycle most the time, so I leave my name and number and they call when they get some. The deal is I buy asis, untested, no returns. Works like a charm. They get money for the product and don't need to have a computer tech.

has anyone had any luck hitting up local recyclers that might allow one to pick through their old stuff? I tried calling a few but they didnt seem to happy with this idea.

I have done it once, for over a year I would hit a small one every Friday. Snagged all kinds of gear (too much probably) but they went out of business a few years a go.

There are computer markets in townhalls in my state every week (anyone could setup a table and sell computer parts), they were great 10 years ago but they quickly got taken over by retailers just selling their new junk, so I stopped going. I got some items from auction houses but they got more expensive after shows like storage wars and my local one closed down. Most of my collection was donated or found on the street.

I was damn lucky: trough eBay i got to contact someone who was selling his whole computer collection (huge, i must say) 150km from me and we eventually became good friends. Now i'm sitting next to his best VAX, wich i got for almost nothing...
The other things i bought are from eBay too, but i've got some really bad deals and that's why i'm not so positive about it...
Sadly, in Italy there are not so many choices.

Back