• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Modgraph GX-1000

KC9UDX

Space Commander
Here's another one the internet doesn't remember!

I've had this terminal since about 1991. About five year ago i quit working and today I finally got it on the bench.

The CPU is running. There is +5V, +12V, and -12V to the CRT unit. There is no EHT. I haven't measured the flyback primary yet, but the flyback does hiss when the horizontal sync isn't correct. So, I consider it safe to assume the flyback is dead. In this day of CRT taboo, where does one get a replacement flyback, or even cross-reference one? It is a Solentec brand marked E101291 and BS-1101.

Also, the CRT filament appears dim to me, so I checked the voltage. It is 4VDC. I'be worked on countless monitors and TVs over the years and never encountered this. In my experience, asbestos I can recall, they are usually 6.3 or 12V. It is a Clinton Taiwan 3520197-01. Is it possible 4V is correct?

Gee thanks spellcheck,

It's a Modgraph GX-2000

And my memory is getting bad but it has nothing to do with asbestos..!

So, lead then.
Possibly. Or, radon, or a myriad of other possibilities.

The company [here] has a lot on offer.

The company [here] may help you.

Thanks! That is very helpful.

I was able to spend some more time with it, and it seems I may not have to replace the $129 flyback. The HOT may be fried.

As for the filament voltage, I'll probably leave it and see what it looks like. If the display is too dim, I will probably up it to 6V.

Go figure. Who says tubes are obsolete and hard to find like transistors aren't?

Where on earth can I get a new MJE13008 or MJE13009 transistor?

Back