• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CRT Chips (Glass)

KC9UDX

Space Commander
Has anyone been successful repairing chips in the face of a monitor CRT?

I have one with a couple of chips, and one with a light scratch.

I imagine there's a windshield repair solution that might work, but I haven't heard of anyone actually doing that.

i would avoid it unless you have some crazy looking chip.
This will likely not look much different that the existing, chip, but there is a chance to potentially make it look worse.
I don't know your situation, but with autoglass, you are looking to a far distance, imperfections in glass repair will not be in focus.
However, if you mess-up the repair on the monitor, it may really be a distraction since your focused on the surface of the screen.
If you insist in doing the screen, PRACTICE on a similar surface so you can do your best.. or practice on a $3 TV from the thrift store.

i would avoid it unless you have some crazy looking chip.

It's pretty bad.
IMAG0560.jpg
Mind you, I wasn't trying to take a picture of the chips, or I could probably show them better. There are some shadows in the upper right quadrant, the shadows are from the chips which you can sort-of see. The swirls and things are light artifacts.

This will likely not look much different that the existing, chip, but there is a chance to potentially make it look worse.
I don't know your situation, but with autoglass, you are looking to a far distance, imperfections in glass repair will not be in focus.
However, if you mess-up the repair on the monitor, it may really be a distraction since your focused on the surface of the screen.
This is precisely what I've been thinking.

If you insist in doing the screen, PRACTICE on a similar surface so you can do your best.. or practice on a $3 TV from the thrift store.
The trouble with that is twofold:
1) The $3 thrift-store TV's make excellent color NTSC computer monitors!
2) I can't picture myself intentionally trying to chip one

If repairing the chip is problematic you might try hiding it with one of those black fabric gauze anti glare filters, either stretched directly against the tube or across the bezel.

Has anyone been successful repairing chips in the face of a monitor CRT?

I have one with a couple of chips, and one with a light scratch.

I imagine there's a windshield repair solution that might work, but I haven't heard of anyone actually doing that.
Simply replacing the CRT is not an option?

It's pretty bad.
View attachment 18292

The trouble with that is twofold:
1) The $3 thrift-store TV's make excellent color NTSC computer monitors!
2) I can't picture myself intentionally trying to chip one
I get the $3 tv as a m monitor conundrum.. i was thinking an old TV is cheaper and more easily accessible than a monitor (even with a chip in it).
I wouldn't recommend trying to chip a tv screen, but to practice on that smooth surface with the clear liquid resin may give a good feel for using it.
The fabric glare filter sounds like a great solution... if you've ever used one, i have a good feeling on this idea.
That's an annoying chip ya got there..
EDIT: ANOTHER good point by MikeS is.. if you;re going to retire the chipped monitor, then a $5 windshield chip repair kit may not be a bad attempt.

I tried to find a replacement 20 years ago, with no success. I hadn't considered trying to find one now but it may be possible.
I'm often surprised by what turns up out there, often in quantity; relevant to this thread there was a bunch of NOS DEC CRT assemblies that appeared recently. What make/model monitor/CRT?

Ive replaced the tube in a TRS-80 model 4 before. Changing a tube over isn't too difficult as long as you take sensible precautions (i.e. discharging etc) and remember the necks of the tubes are somewhat fragile.

Certainly in the cause of the TRS-80 model 4 there were various devices around that could yield suitable replacement tubes.

I've probably replaced at least two dozen CRTs. I still take *extreme* caution when doing this. In fact, every time I do (just did two nights ago), I think to myself that I am being far too careful.

I always wear safety goggles. I don't wear gloves, but I always think I should.

The easiest thing to do (I haven't [yet]) is to break the vent stem off the back of the tube whilst unplugging whatever is plugged into the pins. Incidentally, if you need to dispose of a CRT for some reason, breaking that little tube is probably wise. It's probably the safest way to fill a tube with air. It will hiss for a while though..!

Long ago, I bought myself a high-voltage "probe". That is, a voltmeter for measuring 25,000V, and an analog one, not a high-impedance one. I use it for discharging CRTs. There is just no better way, in my experience, and I'm always glad I have it. In the distant past, I've used screwdrivers, homebrew discharging units, and I don't even remember what else. I've been shocked every which way, except when using the "probe." Similar to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/POMONA-Mo-3...327?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51bbffc07f

Whatever method you use to discharge a tube, *always* redo it right before handling the 2nd anode button. CRTs, especially large ones, especially color ones, will redevelop a charge over time. So, you could discharge a tube, disconnect your discharger, and go back ten minutes later and get nailed.

Probably the scariest experience was trying to unstick a 27" 90 degree color tube from an old TV. It was *very* stuck, and the TV itself had no structural integrity; it relied on the CRT. So, nothing would hold still whilst I was trying to hammer that tube out.

I've done this a couple of times, and a windshield repair kit is only moderately effective. I haven't taken apart a monitor to replace the actual tube though

Thank you. In that case, I will probably just leave it. (Else I will find a replacement CRT).

Back