• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

OK all you XP diehards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their entire belief system is that using free open-source software is more important than using whatever works best

Our actual experience is that open source software almost always works best. There are fields where no suitable open source software is available. The solution is not to buy proprietary software, but encourage the development of good open source software. If everyone who wanted Protools on Linux instead donated even half the cost of a Protools license to Ardour and JACK, Linux would quickly become the best DAW in the world.

But there's not a tradition of open source in audio, so people don't do that. Where there is a tradition of open source, open source is always better. Servers, programming languages, scientific tools, operating system interfaces, CODECs, etc.

which certainly doesn't help the general impression within the industry that trying to sell commercial Linux software is pointless because the Linux user community is a bunch of freeloaders who refuse to pay for anything.

We're more than happy to pay. Just not for software that can't be fixed by the community. Make software of real value, and those who actually value it will ensure it continues to be made. This may take the form of paying for a custom license(e.g. mySQL), or paying for support(e.g. RedHat), or simply hiring people to add the features and fix the bugs that are important to you.

Just to throw another match on the pool of gasoline, one might want to consider PCBSD. Pretty much FreeBSD with a made-for-purpose software set. Not Linux, but not bad at all and pretty stable with a wide range of software available, for those who don't want to use the common Linux cares. FreeBSD and OS X share more code than one might guess. NetCraft says that Microsoft's own servers are Citrix Netscalers, which I believe is a FreeBSD-based platform (someone more knowledgeable could perhaps verify), even if they're running IIS 8.5 on top of it all.

LOL! This from the person writing some of the least polite (IMO) posts in this thread, not to mention misinterpreting and twisting others' words and meaning...

Apparently I must have managed to call your baby ugly somewhere along the line here... I'm sorry? But exactly *how* have I "twisted other's words and meanings?" Examine the initial post I replied to:

No, it doesn't, because A. mePhone/fondleslab users have been conditioned to never poke at the workings in such a way that would screw up the fragile balance of a million discrete, interoperating components that makes Linux a nightmare for normal desktop users, and B. Google is the one exception (although even they're only a partial one) to the rule about Linux usability reformers completely failing to understand usability.

Let's ignore for a second that embedded in it is a random ill-tempered insulting swipe at anyone that uses a smartphone or tablet and try to figure out how to meaningfully respond to this. Let's break it into two parts:

A: Somehow Linux is "fragile" because it's composed of lots of pieces and if you mess with said pieces you could break it, therefore disqualifying it for consideration as a reasonable OS for a "mere mortal" to use, and:

B: Linux is "unusable" because, well, I know this guy, it's unusable because it's not Windows. Windows XP in particular. We can stop discussing this part right now. If you want to say that Linux is "more terse" or "less polished" than some other OS that's a discussion you can meaningfully have after defining your terms but saying it's "unusable" is inflammatory and demonstrably false: there wouldn't be Linux users if it were "unusable". QED.

Going back to contention A, Let's be blunt here: it's equally ridiculous. I happened to reply to it by mentioning "DLL Hell" (which is a real and widespread thing) but I could have pointed out umpteen-million other things about Windows to demonstrate that it has at least a similar magnitude of moving parts and the breakage of any one of them can likewise cause widespread damage to the OS as a whole. Therefore, if we were to apply equal rules to equal situations Windows is also disqualified for use by "normal desktop users". Frankly I don't know a whole lot of "normal desktop users" that insist on digging around randomly in the system directories and breaking things for LoLs, and so far as that goes just try to name an OS that *isn't* going to break when some ignorant mook dives into the system files and starts moving/renaming/editing/overwriting/deleting things without reading the manual. Unless you're playing with a computer made by Fisher-Price there's probably *something* you can do while sitting at the console to break it therefore this "attack vector" against Linux is completely bogus and doesn't contribute to an informative discussion in the slightest. How exactly is it "unfair" to call someone on it?

Supporting example: shortly after OS X came out there were Mac users shrieking on forums that they'd broken their machines, and therefore OS X was garbage, because they'd tried renaming the System folder (which, granted, you can get away with on the classic MacOS) or deleted those "extra" directories like "/bin" that OS X littered their hard drive with. Is this Apple's fault or the idiot user's fault for pulling out the weedwhacker without RTFM? Maybe a little of both, but the fact is the users actively did this to themselves based on bullheaded preconceived ideas of "rightness" founded on personal experience and there's only so much you can do to educate someone that doesn't want to be educated. A lot of these guys that end up so huffy about about Linux seem to do the same thing (it's self-evident in their accounts): They come at a completely different OS than Windows with the mindset that all their previous Microsoft Hakz0r Sk1Llz should be directly applicable, get *really* frustrated by some minor issue that could be solved in a few minutes by someone who's bothered learning the basic concepts, and end up blaming the instrument when bashing their face on the keyboard fails to produce beautiful music. It's those sort of people I was mocking with the "sock puppet" thing in the second post and I'm sorry if you self-identified as one.

(To be brutally honest I've gone out of my way the last few years to avoid commenting too much about the versions of Windows from Vista onward because I've so successfully managed to avoid them I sort of feel like one of those ignorant weedwacker types when I'm asked to "fix" someone's modern Windows machine; I have enough general computing knowledge and experience with previous versions I can generally muddle through but I feel way outside my element. And I'll admit, sometimes when I encounter something that seems really idiotic I'll initially respond with hostility so I'm pretty sure I know how those angry anti-Linux people feel. The point is that I'm experiencing those feelings in the inverse situation so there's at least one data point suggesting that familiarity has as much to do with OS preferences as any technical details or "inherent superiority" in one area or another.)

Anyway, whatever. It would be awesome if people could actually discuss the pros and cons of various operating system designs/philosophies/whatever without it degenerating into a religious war and having unanswerable blanket generalizations and insults being thrown around at the drop of a hat, but good luck with that. (Alas.) There's *no* excuse for the rabid "USE LINUX YOU NOOB!" potshots that aggressive know-it-all-teenagers spam at Windows users just trying to mind their own business but there's equally no excuse for posts like the one that originally got me into this thread. It's a shame empathy isn't something you can inject someone with because pretty much everyone who hangs out on Internet forums could use a shot or two.

If everyone who wanted Protools on Linux instead donated even half the cost of a Protools license to Ardour and JACK, Linux would quickly become the best DAW in the world.

If even OpenOffice isn't enough to get people to switch to Linux, then I don't think niche applications like audio and video editing would help much, either -- although I have heard diehard Linux users complain that they are forced to use a Mac or PC for video editing because the available Linux video editors crash so often that they are nearly useless, so I guess for them it would be a big help.

We're more than happy to pay. Just not for software that can't be fixed by the community.

I would rather trust someone whose job it is to write and maintain software to fix software, rather than someone for whom it is merely a hobby. In fact, I have also heard complaints from said diehard Linux users that the author of said Linux video editing software is "not receptive to bug reports" and basically blames the user for causing the problems they have.

If even OpenOffice isn't enough to get people to switch to Linux
I'd very much like to run OpenOffice, even though it my experience it is even more sliggish than it's Microsoft counterpart. The brick wall for me though is Base. I standardised on Access years ago because it was the best thing available. My Access database simply will not function in Base.

I would rather trust someone whose job it is to write and maintain software to fix software, rather than someone for whom it is merely a hobby. In fact, I have also heard complaints from said diehard Linux users that the author of said Linux video editing software is "not receptive to bug reports" and basically blames the user for causing the problems they have.

Most contributors to open source programs are professional programmers. That being said, there are plenty of crappy programmers out there that get paid to do it at their day job. The one benefit of open source is that anyone can look at the code, and more importantly, can fix the bugs if they wish. One can also add features too.

The lack of a decent Linux based video editor has been a complaint for years. Programming a NLE isn't exactly easy or a one man job.
http://allthatiswrong.wordpress.com/2011/08/07/linux-–-the-worst-platform-for-video-editing/

On the flip side, all the best video editing/manipulating tools on Windows (with the exception of NLEs) happen to be open source. Check out VirtualDub, AviSynth, and various codecs like HuffYUV and Lagarith.

Even the professional tools could be a bear to work with. Until a few years ago, Adobe Premiere was a buggy and broken mess. Its one reason why so many people switched to Final Cut Pro and Vegas (which has its own share of issues). I'm sure there are people that can tell you horror stories about Avid too. Adobe eventually got their act together and fixed most of the problems, but it took years and a lot of work.

Most contributors to open source programs are professional programmers.
A very valid point. Also, there are open source programs that function on a number platforms and OSs. It's not just restricted to Linux. This is a good thing. Conversely there are also some closed source programs with also function well on a number of platforms/OSs.

Last edited:
B: Linux is "unusable" because, well, I know this guy, it's unusable because it's not Windows. Windows XP in particular. We can stop discussing this part right now. If you want to say that Linux is "more terse" or "less polished" than some other OS that's a discussion you can meaningfully have after defining your terms but saying it's "unusable" is inflammatory and demonstrably false: there wouldn't be Linux users if it were "unusable". QED.
I never said that Linux is literally completely unusable. I said that the people trying to make it more usable than it is (which is, for the record, not very) don't understand what makes usability. And I never said that good usability equals being exactly like Windows XP, either. (For the record, Windows has its own flaws on the usability front, though not nearly as many or as severe.) Good usability is about being intuitive, being consistent, and respecting the principle of least surprise unless there's a very compelling reason not to.

Linux and Linux software rarely achieve any of those very well. Linux's Unix-heritage core software tends to at least be broadly consistent, if overly arcane, but once you get up to the level of XWindows applications and desktop environments it's all shot to hell. Principle of least surprise is completely thrown out the window in favor of just doing whatever, Linux developers on the whole display a singular knack for completely failing to create intuitive interfaces, and outside of monolithic application suites like the KDE or Gnome ecosystems, the level of consistency between applications (or sometimes even within applications) is just absurdly bad. Even oft-touted, high-profile programs like GIMP make stupid, obvious mistakes like, for example, assigning the same accelerator to multiple controls, defeating the whole point of having an accelerator. It's a whole galaxy of programs created for GUIs by people who don't understand or care about making good GUIs.

Again, this has nothing to do with being like Windows. Windows isn't even the be-all and end-all of good usability; Classic Mac OS was better than Windows has ever been. It is entirely possible to create eminently usable interfaces with significantly different approaches to what Windows does, and it has been done before - oldschool Mac OS, BeOS, RiscOS. Linux just doesn't.

Apparently I must have managed to call your baby ugly somewhere along the line here... I'm sorry? But exactly *how* have I "twisted other's words and meanings?" Examine the initial post I replied to:
A. mePhone/fondleslab users have been conditioned to never poke at the workings in such a way that would screw up the fragile balance of a million discrete, interoperating components that makes Linux a nightmare for normal desktop users, and B. Google is the one exception (although even they're only a partial one) to the rule about Linux usability reformers completely failing to understand usability.
Let's ignore for a second that embedded in it is a random ill-tempered insulting swipe at anyone that uses a smartphone or tablet...
Maybe you see it that way; I see it as a swipe at Apple et al's practice of locking down the hardware (and, in Apple's case, software) as much as possible to protect the system from harm and, incidentally, forcing users to 'dumb down' and do it 'their way'; in some ways this is a good thing, the same way that standardization is a good thing but stifles innovation and creativity.
Let's break it into two parts:
A: Somehow Linux is "fragile" because it's composed of lots of pieces and if you mess with said pieces you could break it, therefore disqualifying it for consideration as a reasonable OS for a "mere mortal" to use
If you mess with the wrong pieces you could indeed break it; "making it a nightmare for normal users" (rightly or wrongly) does not equate to "disqualifying it for consideration"; in fact, considering it is presumably what evoked the criticism, although we may all have different criteria for a "normal user".
B: Linux is "unusable" because, well, I know this guy, it's unusable because it's not Windows. Windows XP in particular.
I don't see any mention of Windows whatsoever, nor do I see where he says Linux is unusable. What I do see is a criticism of the attitude of Linux developers (and users like Tor and Ole) who (for example) totally ignore and refute comments like the ones about case sensitivity and insist that because they find it useful in certain obscure circumstances and it's not a problem for them or their (free tech support) wives and fathers it shouldn't be an issue for anyone, even XP users...

I'm not aware of anywhere in the real world where names, etc. are sorted according to case (although I'm sure you'll come up with one ;-); as to it being irrelevant because no ex-XP user is going to use the CLI, perhaps I'm wrong: is it not possible to save two copies of your latest spreadsheet/document/picture etc. with file names differing only in the case of one or more letters? Could this not be confusing the next time you want to load it? I don't really expect anyone to actually make **ix case-insensitive at this point but it would be nice if the fact that some people have an issue with it could be acknowledged instead of the usual "It works for ME, so what's your problem?
...saying it's "unusable" is inflammatory and demonstrably false: there wouldn't be Linux users if it were "unusable". QED.
Again, where is the word "unusable" in your quote? You still don't see any misquoting or misinterpretation?
Going back to contention A, Let's be blunt here: it's equally ridiculous. I happened to reply to it by mentioning "DLL Hell" (which is a real and widespread thing) but I could have pointed out umpteen-million other things about Windows to demonstrate that it has at least a similar magnitude of moving parts and the breakage of any one of them can likewise cause widespread damage to the OS as a whole.
Once again, what is your point? This is those two kids in the sandbox; one says "your sister's got a pimple on her face" and the other replies "Oh yeah? Yours is even uglier!", which, as I say, any criticisms of Linux usually disintegrate into because the defensive and maybe even insecure assumption of the Linux side is usually that the person criticising is a Windows user and thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bagels.
just try to name an OS that *isn't* going to break when some ignorant mook dives into the system files and starts moving/renaming/editing/overwriting/deleting things without reading the manual. Unless you're playing with a computer made by Fisher-Price there's probably *something* you can do while sitting at the console to break it therefore this "attack vector" against Linux is completely bogus and doesn't contribute to an informative discussion in the slightest. How exactly is it "unfair" to call someone on it?
I think that the implied suggestion that Linux (and, presumably, Windows) could be made less fragile is quite reasonable and hardly an "attack vector"; accusing someone of "attacking" Linux instead of discussing how this might actually be accomplished is what "doesn't contribute to an informative discussion and is perhaps even "unfair". Seeing it as criticism can sometimes lead to an informative discussion; perceiving it as an attack usually evokes a pointless and unproductive counterattack.
It's those sort of people I was mocking with the "sock puppet" thing in the second post and I'm sorry if you self-identified as one.
Not at all; I just find it unnecessarily rude and hypocritical to resort to name-calling insults while preaching politeness.
familiarity has as much to do with OS preferences as any technical details or "inherent superiority" in one area or another.)
On that we can certainly agree.
Anyway, whatever. It would be awesome if people could actually discuss the pros and cons of various operating system designs/philosophies/whatever without it degenerating into a religious war and having unanswerable blanket generalizations and insults being thrown around at the drop of a hat, but good luck with that. (Alas.)...It's a shame empathy isn't something you can inject someone with because pretty much everyone who hangs out on Internet forums could use a shot or two.
It would indeed be awesome; we could start with your posts... ;-)

Last edited:
Supporting example: shortly after OS X came out there were Mac users shrieking on forums that they'd broken their machines, and therefore OS X was garbage, because they'd tried renaming the System folder (which, granted, you can get away with on the classic MacOS) or deleted those "extra" directories like "/bin" that OS X littered their hard drive with. Is this Apple's fault or the idiot user's fault for pulling out the weedwhacker without RTFM?

Actually it is.

a) Apple should have changed the folder structure naming so a normal person could recognize it
b) Apple should have put up big warning signs before it allowed it to happen.

I wouldn't expect either from Linux, I expect it to do what I tell it without any screwing around, but that's what we're talking about - especially in regards to 'polish' and 'ease of use'.

/bin to you or me is a place for binary files, program executables. To somebody who isn't an enthusiast it sounds like a rubbish bin, where deleted files go.

Last edited:
Boy, then I've got a lot of rubbish. Many of the Windows products I have installed have '\bin" subdirectory. Better get with the program and start deleting!

It is possible in both BSD and Windows XP+ to have folders that are not deletable by users unless they jump through some very arcane hoops.

Many of the Windows products I have installed have '\bin" subdirectory.
So do all of my DOS systems, old and new (also \PKG & \DEV) along with \DOS, \BAT, \TMP, \DATA etc.; one of many things I liked and kept from my UNIX days. Hard links can be handy for this sort of thing in XP+.

It is possible in both BSD and Windows XP+ to have folders that are not deletable by users unless they jump through some very arcane hoops.
How do you do it in XP+ (assuming full access to the contents) ?

Just to be clear, I was talking about the use of the word "idiots' to describe MAC users who deleted /bin (not /program files/program/bin) from their root folder.
The selling feature of most Apple products is how intuitive they are. "/bin" isn't intuitive unless, like us, you're a computer enthusiast or have UNIX experience.

How do you do it in XP+ (assuming full access to the contents) ?

Change the security settings/ownership on the "bin" folder. MSFT has, in the past, been guilty of distributing an update that did that and was deluged with "How the &@#! do I get rid of this folder and its files? Nothing works--I keep getting "access denied".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us et al.

Change the security settings/ownership on the "bin" folder. MSFT has, in the past, been guilty of distributing an update that did that and was deluged with "How the &@#! do I get rid of this folder and its files? Nothing works--I keep getting "access denied".
Been there, T hanging in my closet. Thought this might conflict with sharing settings but I'll check it out; thanks, Chuck!

Maybe you see it that way; I see it as a swipe at Apple et al's practice of locking down the hardware (and, in Apple's case, software) as much as possible to protect the system from harm and, incidentally, forcing users to 'dumb down' and do it 'their way'; in some ways this is a good thing, the same way that standardization is a good thing but stifles innovation and creativity.

That's charitable of you.

"I don't see any mention of Windows whatsoever, nor do I see where he says Linux is unusable..."

"Again, where is the word "unusable" in your quote? You still don't see any misquoting or misinterpretation?"

(etc.)

All I'm going to say here is I've read *many* a post by the person I was replying to on this subject and what I said was not an exaggeration of his opinion. Which is an opinion he's entitled to have and express, it's a free country, but it's pretty clear that if you needed to summarize said opinion in a single word "unusable" would be it. (Or possibly "garbage"?) He splatters on disgust with a paint roller and raises criticisms so broad that they're essentially unanswerable, why is the onus on me to not be "unfair" in responding?

Once again, what is your point? This is those two kids in the sandbox; one says "your sister's got a pimple on her face" and the other replies "Oh yeah? Yours is even uglier!", which, as I say, any criticisms of Linux usually disintegrate into because the defensive and maybe even insecure assumption of the Linux side is usually that the person criticising is a Windows user and thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bagels.

The point is that unless someone expressing an opinion as vituperative as "It's a nightmare!" can demonstrate that a reasonable alternative free of these problems exists and they're using it they're either ignorant or incredibly hypocritical. I could be wrong on this, but I believe the rule of thumb is that the *kinder* assumption in this situation is to assume ignorance. Therefore it's actually the more polite option to reply with an answer that points out the same flaw exists, well, everywhere in this case. What exactly do *you* think the proper way to reply to something like that would be? Let's think about this a little more:

If you mess with the wrong pieces you could indeed break it; "making it a nightmare for normal users" (rightly or wrongly) does not equate to "disqualifying it for consideration"; in fact, considering it is presumably what evoked the criticism, although we may all have different criteria for a "normal user"....
(jump)
I think that the implied suggestion that Linux (and, presumably, Windows) could be made less fragile is quite reasonable and hardly an "attack vector"; accusing someone of "attacking" Linux instead of discussing how this might actually be accomplished is what "doesn't contribute to an informative discussion and is perhaps even "unfair". Seeing it as criticism can sometimes lead to an informative discussion; perceiving it as an attack usually evokes a pointless and unproductive counterattack.

I'm sorry, but your criticism of my response to this seems hypocritical to me. Let's examine the "substance" again:

A: Massive directories (many megabytes, or indeed, gigabytes worth) full of inscrutable system files are a characteristic of every modern operating system. Therefore this entire line of discussion is a red herring to start out with; this is how computer operating systems are made. If you don't like it, fine, but it's not a unique attribute of Linux so it makes absolutely no sense to try to pin the onus for "fixing it" on Linux developers or to whine about it being a "problem with Linux" in the course of a comparative discussion.

B: There's the unsupported-by-evidence connection between complexity and fragility which, again, makes this a red herring. A reminder, the specific contention was that a "fragile balance of a million discrete, interoperating components" "makes Linux a nightmare for normal desktop users". Again, putting aside the obvious comparison to *EVERY OTHER MODERN OPERATING SYSTEM* also being complex, where is the evidence that Linux is uniquely fragile because it's, uhm, just like everything else? The fact that Linux runs a huge percentage world's servers is pretty persuasive evidence that the operating system is sufficiently robust to be trusted to not spontaneously explode under its own weight.

C: Like has already been discussed, it's completely ridiculous and unfair to expect Linux to somehow be uniquely resistant to a determined user attempting to sabotage their own computer by mucking around in the system directories discussed in A:.

(The fact is, of course, that Linux *already* is more robust than most historical desktop operating systems in that the UNIX paradigm expects the user to keep their personal mutable files inside their own directory and does not normally grant permission to damage the system files unless the user specifically takes action to escalate. What exactly is Linux supposed to improve on here? There's nothing specific being called out, AT ALL.)

Again, I see you ragging on me for giving a not completely polite answer to a broad, irrelevant, disingenuous and hypocritical stab that's essentially impossible to answer in a meaningful way. Why is this all my fault? (I guess I'm automatically the mean thin-skinned Linux user attacking the poor well-meaning victim just because.)

For the record, if you really want I could dig up some URLs to discussions I've had in the past where I've conceded that Linux has plenty of flaws: for instance, I basically gave up and used OS X laptops (while sticking to Linux or BSD on my desktop) for about four years between 2002 and 2006 because I got really frustrated with the pretty disastrous state of ACPI power management and wireless network card support at the time. (I'll note that the problems were at least as much due to obstinate and incompetent hardware companies as with the Linux development process, but it translated to laptop support being such a mess it was really pretty difficult to recommend Linux on them during that time to anyone who didn't want to spend hours screwing around. By 2007 or so things had *massively* improved, however.) Linus Torvalds is *not* the second coming of Charles Babbage and there's still some areas where it would be nice if someone could don an iron glove and vigorously shake "The Collective" into making more sense. (Advanced audio support is *still* far more fragmented than it should be, for instance.) But raising specific problems and discussing them fairly is one thing; screaming "IT'S A NIGHTMARE!" like a hysterical little girl from the sidelines is another.

Not at all; I just find it unnecessarily rude and hypocritical to resort to name-calling insults while preaching politeness.

Where did I call someone specific a name? I used terms like "idiot" to describe a hypothetical user who, not knowing any better, did something really stupid. You do know there's a very popular serious of books that all carry the title "The Compete Idiot's Guide to (insert subject here)", right? (See also: (insert subject here) for Dummies). Those books are designed to cater to people who are willing to admit that, yes, when it comes to a certain subject they're an idiot. (Face it, at some level we're all idiots. It's all about context.) And the "sock puppet" thing was, again, aimed at a generic entity and was describing how someone who's knowledgeable about a subject can end up feeling when they hear what sounds like the same "It's so tragic you can't help but laugh" story over and over again. (Generally told by someone you on one hand sort of would like to help but on the other are so turned off by their angry/hysterical reaction it just seems like a lost cause.) It was intended as a sad commentary on both the giving and receiving end.

It would indeed be awesome; we could start with your posts... ;-)

Um, okay. Again, I'm sorry if I offended you personally somehow. Here, I'll try extra hard to be polite here and respond to something you seem really concerned about:

What I do see is a criticism of the attitude of Linux developers (and users like Tor and Ole) who (for example) totally ignore and refute comments like the ones about case sensitivity and insist that because they find it useful in certain obscure circumstances and it's not a problem for them or their (free tech support) wives and fathers it shouldn't be an issue for anyone, even XP user.

Well, just offhandedly I'll note that wives and fathers are probably using the GUI, and many (most?) of the available file selection dialogs and file managers have options for tweaking the sort order. But we'll ignore that...

I'm not aware of anywhere in the real world where names, etc. are sorted according to case (although I'm sure you'll come up with one ;-); as to it being irrelevant because no ex-XP user is going to use the CLI, perhaps I'm wrong: is it not possible to save two copies of your latest spreadsheet/document/picture etc. with file names differing only in the case of one or more letters? Could this not be confusing the next time you want to load it? I don't really expect anyone to actually make **ix case-insensitive at this point but it would be nice if the fact that some people have an issue with it could be acknowledged instead of the usual "It works for ME, so what's your problem?

What's the worst case scenario if your Linux-using relative or SO saves two documents with the same name but different case anyway? You have to explain once that the filesystem is case sensitive, they go "oh", and they find the other one by scrolling the file dialog ever-so-slightly.

From a broader perspective, here's something to think about: maybe the reason people who are used to it don't consider it a problem just rightly don't think it's a "problem", they consider it an "idiosyncrasy", "just how it works", or don't really think about it at all. I know you're going to call foul and accuse me of "throwing sand" again, but let's ponder the nature of computers for a second here: Let's pretend I have a directory full of files named "1.txt" through "10.txt" on my DOS/Windows machine. What happens when you type "DIR" in that directory? You'll get a listing of the files in an unintuitive order, with 10.txt after 1.txt, followed by the other digits That's just the way the beast works. Is it ideal? No, obviously not from a human point of view, but that's how it works and short of your command shell output being generated by the ever-elusive "natural language computer" that mankind has been working on for decades there are always going to be cases where the default presentation isn't going to be ideal because it's generated by a very simple set of rules.

(At this point I could smugly point out that on Linux it'd be easy enough to pipe the output of "ls" through "sort" to get the numbers in the correct order but I'll skip it because it's beside the point.)

The DOS filesystem happens to be case insensitive, that's just how it works, and it happens to be different than the UNIX convention. It's an attribute that happens to make it *slightly* less likely that you'll get confused by some edge case like naming two files the same way other than capitalization, but really, is it such a big deal? Out of all the things that are "hard" about using computers is this really worth hyperfocusing over? How is it an issue that even really needs a "defense"? (I can't say for absolute certain but I suspect the reason the DOS filesystem is case-insensitive is, having evolved from OSes that ran on some pretty darn primitive computers, it was designed around the assumption that it couldn't necessarily depend on the output device being capable of mixed-case. On some of the old home computers with uppercase-only character generators it's possible to run into some really irritating case-related issues with "invisible" lowercase letters screwing up an uppercase-only BASIC interpreter. Sometimes these were worked around by wedging case-insensitivity in as a breakfix in newer DOS versions, etc.) Case sensitivity is in Linux for backwards compatibility and complete POSIX compliance so it's a thing that just "is".

(And likewise, Windows happens to be case insensitive because of tradition, except for when it's not.)

For the record, on some abstract level I generally agree with the sentiment that it would be nice if computers were generally more forgiving and kind to humans, and when dealing with humans case sensitivity isn't usually particularly useful, but I also make the possibly flawed assumption that the people who hang out on obscure computer forums should be well versed enough with how computers work to understand that making computers kind and lovable isn't an easy problem and the range of solutions available is often constrained by the necessity of backwards compatibility. We can fuss about it, or we can just deal. (As noted, if the cost of "just dealing" makes switching to Linux from your current OS of choice too emotionally difficult then don't. It just, again, seems to me at least like a really odd thing out of so many things to get wound up over.)

I never said that Linux is literally completely unusable. I said that the people trying to make it more usable than it is (which is, for the record, not very) don't understand what makes usability....

Simple question: if you're such an authority on "usability" and so good at pointing out obvious mistakes, why not actually volunteer your services toward fixing the problem? For instance:

Even oft-touted, high-profile programs like GIMP make stupid, obvious mistakes like, for example, assigning the same accelerator to multiple controls, defeating the whole point of having an accelerator.

Hooray, an actual concrete example! Have you actually *tried* submitting a bug report/feature request describing how this could work better to the developers? Seriously, I'm genuinely curious if you did so and how that went down.

About a gazillion iPhone App makers disagree with you.

Hooray, an actual concrete example! Have you actually *tried* submitting a bug report/feature request describing how this could work better to the developers? Seriously, I'm genuinely curious if you did so and how that went down.

So it turns out this flamewar isn't a total loss, because that *is* how open source development works. It's much easier to contribute nowadays, especially if the project is hosted on one of the many "social coding" platforms around today. If you find something deficient and want it corrected, you can figure out how to do it yourself and send a pull request for your change, or open an issue in whatever bugtracker is being used and work with someone else to fix it.

That used to be the standard "you're a n00b" retort on IRC et al: "well it's open source, so fix it instead of bitching about it." Especially true of documentation -- if you figure out how something actually works and it contradicts the manual, fix it! It was difficult back then (CVS anyone?), not so much now.

We really should not need to devolve into flamewars here. This is not Usenet. When wrestling with a pig, keep in mind that the pig likes it and you just get dirty.

I could not agree more about the observation that effecting change is difficult - people should try it some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back