• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: EPROM Eraser

Thanks, dhoelzer. That's very nice of you to offer. I just got the programmer, so of course now I must have the eraser too! :)

I completely understand. I strongly warn you away from the cheap-o one that you can find on Amazon and eBay... greenish blue plastic with a white timer. Not only did mine arrive non-functional (Amazon) but the seller then asked if I would accept a partial refund... Absolutely insane.

I ended up buying one out of a lab that holds about 40 at a time.

If you look for a used one on eBay my recommendation would be to look for a good deal on a Logical Devices QUV-T8. There are a couple on eBay now in reasonable looking condition around $65-$70 OBO, including shipping. Sometimes you can find them a fair amount cheaper. I have a couple of those I have had for years and they seem to hold up well. One with a built in timer and one without. The built in timer can be a bit dodgy so I keep track of the erasure time myself.

I completely understand. I strongly warn you away from the cheap-o one that you can find on Amazon and eBay... greenish blue plastic with a white timer. Not only did mine arrive non-functional (Amazon) but the seller then asked if I would accept a partial refund... Absolutely insane.

I ended up buying one out of a lab that holds about 40 at a time.

Thanks for the heads-up. I think something like that did surface during my ePay searches, and it's always tempting to take a gamble when the price is so low.

Ditto on the cheap Ebay erasers. I have a Datarase II that works great. It doesn't have a timer so I use the timer on my Iphone. The cheapie I got from Ebay never did work correctly and was a total waste of time and money.

I'll give a +1 for the cheapie ebay eraser... both Chromedome45 and I have one and they work fine. I guess it's a YMMV thing :)

One can make one from a drier lamp and a current limit resistor.
Dwight

I thought about using a stock fluorescent tube fixture, which would give me the ballast, starter, etc., with a germicidal UV lamp and maybe a timer. These really aren't complicated devices. But by the time I get all the bits and pieces I would need to rig up something, since I don't have any of it on hand, the cost would already be close to the price of a used UV eraser. Plus I'd have to invest some time to assemble it, and I know I would spend way too much time trying to make a nice enclosure because I'm fussy about that kind of thing...

My first EPROM eraser was a coffee can, germicidal lamp from a clothes dryer and a standard 40w incandescent (as limiting resistor). I used it for several years.

The little 4W fluorescent germicidal lamps do a very good job also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221400793756?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D221400793756%26_rdc%3D1

I have for more than two years this and used it to erase tens of EPROMs ... and besides my wife is satisfied as well, 'cos she can sterilise toothbrushes from time to time.
How long does an erasure take with that device? It seems to have a timer which shuts off after 3 to 5 minutes (I thought it took longer to erase an eprom, but I haven't done that since the eighties so I don't really remember anymore)

-Tor

Using a small eraser 10 minutes is safe. But it depends on the lamp power. You may want to consider also the 28xx EEproms that can replace classic 27xx Eproms pin to pin. (Look for Atmel 28xx). You would need a suitable programmer though. With these you can erase a chip in a second a reprogram it immediately.

How long does an erasure take with that device? It seems to have a timer which shuts off after 3 to 5 minutes (I thought it took longer to erase an eprom, but I haven't done that since the eighties so I don't really remember anymore)

-Tor

Last edited:
I have three EPROM erasers around the house.
Luckily it only takes me a couple hours to find one
when needed.
Dwight

-Tor

Depends on the EPROM type. Half of them are erased right after first shut off (your time estimate seems to be right). But I have had also some very tough ones, that needed aprox. 5 procedures.

Make sure the window is truly clean. Gunk from a label that
covered the window can block a lot of UV light.
Dwight

Back