• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Powerbook 180 with Modem Connected to Broadband??

DisketteDude

I've got a powerbook 180 with a builtin modem which I would like to try and connect to the internet, but seeing as how I don't have dialup in my home its going to be a little tricky...I'm thinking it might be possible to either:
a. Connect the 180 modem-to-modem to an online linux box and somehow simulate dialup??
b. Connect via my VOIP phoneline

That said even if I *could* connect it to my VOIP line, I don't know about finding a free dialup number, since I can't justify spending money on yet another project of mine :p

Are there still any bulletin boards active in your area?
I had at least one BBS in my locale that I worked with until the guy started angrily yelling over the phone when I called because I wasn't a paying member.

As for ethernet, pick up an Asante Micro EN/SC, which makes use of the PowerBook's SCSI port into an 10BASE-T ethernet port. Shouldn't be too hard to find on eBay.
There is also the "DaynaPort Pocket SCSI/Link", same idea as Asante Micro EN/SC. There were also a few Localtalk bridges that can do Serial LocalTalk to Ethernet from Asante and Farallon. All these SCSI and LocalTalk options can get spendy, vintage mac folks like myself tend to hoard them when we can find them, lol

As far as your original modem-modem idea, that also can work, I have done it. I had an Analog PBX (ATT/Lucent/Avaya "Merlin Legend", which are cheap these days) providing the dialtone and dialing capabilities, with a Linux box on the answering extension setup to auto-answer (though I did not setup PPP, I was dialing into my linux box from a terminal not a computer), it worked GREAT!

Modems and VoIP tend not to play well, you have to have pretty much perfect alignment of codecs (and chicken blood and voodoo) to get a BUGGY 1200 baud connection. When I upgraded my home PBX to a VoIP setup (asterisks) I was never able to get reliable modem connections over it and this was on my LAN, just imagine over the internet! I still keep the old Merlin Legend PBX around (with enough spare parts to keep it working forever) for modem projects like this type of thing.

What if I just connected the modems directly, such as described here? Would there be a risk of damaging them since the 24v from the phone line isn't there?

What if I just connected the modems directly, such as described here? Would there be a risk of damaging them since the 24v from the phone line isn't there?

No risks to the modems to try that. I've never got modem to modem to work, all the ones I've had refuse to dial unless there is a dial-tone.

Back