• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anybody Want to Help Name a VAX?

Yes, themes are good.

I like composers. Music is a way to process numbers to pleasant effect. Haydn comes to mind for a computer. I'm not overly fond of the period but it does remind me of a place on the historical music timeline somewhat where the VAX fits in the computer world. And then, probably the most famous composer to come out of the US, Charles Ives was definitely an American original. (Edit: I forgot to mention that Ives was from, and deeply identified with, New England - where DEC was headquartered.)

So there you have it: HAYDEN or IVES.

Last edited:
I didn't purchase it from a commercial vendor, and I don't think the seller has another one.

It's estimated to arrive in town on Wednesday, so I'll probably take next Friday off to pic it up at the freight terminal. Yay!

I didn't purchase it from a commercial vendor, and I don't think the seller has another one.

Oh, sorry about that. I got yours confused with one of the 11/84s that were offered up by esssurplus.
That's why I thought there was another out there waiting for you.
And, now that I looked again, it appears that all of theirs are now gone, too.

smp

Last edited:
I figured it was something like that.

I see a couple of TU81 drives listed at the moment. Are either of those from the same seller that was moving the 11/84 systems?

Back