• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ALD DAT4030 486DLC/E-40 motherboard

Mine doesn't seem to work.
I stuck 4 SIMMS (1MB total) from my Packard Bell 286 in it, and a CGA card and all I could get it to do was make my screen turn black when the PSU is powered up. I tried with a ISA VGA card too, and the LCD didn't pick up a signal. Stuck a peizo speaker on it, and nothing. Jumped the CMOS clear jumpers. Still nothing.

Must be toast. Unless the CPU is.

I guess I could try the 386 CPU from my Intel Inboard 386 card, but I would hate if the board managed to fry that CPU is something's wrong.

Are you sure those 286 SIMMs are fast enough for a 486-40?

No I'm not. I tried 2 other SIMMs I had lying around but those didn't boot either. I figured it needed 4 SIMMs to be installed, and that's all the SIMMs I have.
Would too slow SIMMs cause it not to POST?

I wouldn't think 80ns chips (what you have) should pose much of a problem.

Some of my boards don't like 3 chip SIMMs and won't boot with them installed. I kind of doubt the board is toast due to it's simplicity. You probably just need different SIMMs.

You guys were right, it didn't like those simms. I thought those were the only SIMMS I had but I remembered my Mac IIcI had some.
I pulled some SIMMS from that and it booted!

14125708848_01a1e40387_z.jpg

That's BabyAT formfactor right? I should find a sweet case for this. 386's will work in this right?

Since there is no external cache on board if I downgraded to a 386, I would loose all the cache since the Cyrix has on-chip cache. I just wanted a true 386 system since I already have a couple 486 systems.

Last edited:
Back