• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Another dead Amiga 1000

sev

Experienced Member
So along with the dead 3000 that Im trying to ressurect, I also have a 1000 that im trying to ressurect.

Does the usual stuff, turn it on, screen flickers for a second, stays black, never changes. The Panel LED stays on solid, never flashes.

The keyboard LED flashes once on startup and that's it.

Ive removed and reseated all the chips, the daughter card, swapped the CIA controllers, tried both a 1084S monitor and a RGB.. Nothing

I did check the power supply, and Im seeing +12v and +5v on the rail, so that seems ok. No leaky capacitors.

There is some weird stuff inside that Ive discovered though,

First of all, the underside of the 1000 says "Refurbished by Commodore",

and inside on the daughter card I found this with a piece of electrical tape over it.

I desoldered it and tried it again, still nothing, so I re-soldered it back

Also there's a switch attached that I have no idea about:

It attaches here:

Anyway, ive spent many hours on this thing, I want to see it work but Im fresh out of ideas...

HELP!! :)

So along with the dead 3000 that Im trying to ressurect, I also have a 1000 that im trying to ressurect.

Does the usual stuff, turn it on, screen flickers for a second, stays black, never changes. The Panel LED stays on solid, never flashes.

The keyboard LED flashes once on startup and that's it.

Ive removed and reseated all the chips, the daughter card, swapped the CIA controllers, tried both a 1084S monitor and a RGB.. Nothing

I did check the power supply, and Im seeing +12v and +5v on the rail, so that seems ok. No leaky capacitors.

There is some weird stuff inside that Ive discovered though,

First of all, the underside of the 1000 says "Refurbished by Commodore",

and inside on the daughter card I found this with a piece of electrical tape over it.

I desoldered it and tried it again, still nothing, so I re-soldered it back

Also there's a switch attached that I have no idea about:

It attaches here:

Anyway, ive spent many hours on this thing, I want to see it work but Im fresh out of ideas...

HELP!! :)

no one? :(

What do you mean the screen flickers? Does it go Grey-Dark Grey-White, or something?

The A1000 is the only Amiga I'm not familiar with. The Kickstart ROMs in the later machines all have a pattern to the screen colors at boot. They are significant. If you can get past one and not to the next, you know where the system halted. Your A1000 may do this too.

Also, at least on the later machines, and this may work on the A1000, you can tell if the CPU is running by pushing the caps lock on and off and see if the light always goes on and off. If the light stops working after a dozen or so on/off's, then the CPU is not running.

What do you mean the screen flickers? Does it go Grey-Dark Grey-White, or something?

The A1000 is the only Amiga I'm not familiar with. The Kickstart ROMs in the later machines all have a pattern to the screen colors at boot. They are significant. If you can get past one and not to the next, you know where the system halted. Your A1000 may do this too.

Also, at least on the later machines, and this may work on the A1000, you can tell if the CPU is running by pushing the caps lock on and off and see if the light always goes on and off. If the light stops working after a dozen or so on/off's, then the CPU is not running.

It literally flickers for a millisecond when you switch it on, and then nothing, black screen.

I believe the bus wire on the daughtercard is to fix a PAL grounding issue. If you look around on Aminet you can find information about it. I've had several A1000s over the years and none of them had that fix and I never really had any particular issue with them for lack of the fix. IIRC I did it on one just for the heck of it.

Normally when you turn on the A1000, the power LED should flash bright-dim rapidly for 1-2 seconds, and then you should hear a few tones, followed in a second by the image of the hand holding a Kickstart disk. The disk drive will click at roughly twice the speed of another model Amiga running Kickstart 1.2/1.3 with no disk inserted in the drive.

Maybe worth checking to see if the ROMs are good. A couple of mine had EEPROMs instead of mask ROMs in them.

Also, IIRC there was a hack for the WOM (that holds the Kickstart ROM image) to use it as actual system RAM. Not sure if that's what your switch is about.

I believe the bus wire on the daughtercard is to fix a PAL grounding issue. If you look around on Aminet you can find information about it. I've had several A1000s over the years and none of them had that fix and I never really had any particular issue with them for lack of the fix. IIRC I did it on one just for the heck of it.

Normally when you turn on the A1000, the power LED should flash bright-dim rapidly for 1-2 seconds, and then you should hear a few tones, followed in a second by the image of the hand holding a Kickstart disk. The disk drive will click at roughly twice the speed of another model Amiga running Kickstart 1.2/1.3 with no disk inserted in the drive.

Maybe worth checking to see if the ROMs are good. A couple of mine had EEPROMs instead of mask ROMs in them.

thanks for your help, whats the best way to verify the ROMs?

Come to think of it, I wonder if your toggle switch is to disable the low pass filter on the audio. The A1000 this was always on, and on later Amigas was settable in software.

Come to think of it, I wonder if your toggle switch is to disable the low pass filter on the audio. The A1000 this was always on, and on later Amigas was settable in software.

That's a very good idea. Now that I think about it, that was a common modification.

Back