• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Dual head video on a Tandy 1000tx?

gronos

I'm not sure I have a practical use for this, but I'm curious.
Would it be possible to run dual monitors on a Tandy 1000tx?

If you are using the built-in composite and RGBI digital outputs, yes. However, you will see the same image from both outputs (although the color and the sharpness will be different through composite,)

If you are using the built-in composite and RGBI digital outputs, yes. However, you will see the same image from both outputs (although the color and the sharpness will be different through composite,)

So no way to have the built-in graphics and a VGA or MDA adapter
at the same time, then? Again I don't really have a practical use,
more curious than anything.

I would expect that VGA would conflict with the onboard video. MDA might work, but you would still need special software to actually do anything with it.

It probably isn't worth messing with, then. I'm interested in setting up a dual-boot DOS 6.22/Desqview or DOS/Minix system, though (or is Desqview a shell for DOS?). While it would be neat to have two monitors, I don't think it is worth the hassle since it is more a system for tinkering/games as opposed to any sort of productive work.

I would expect that VGA would conflict with the onboard video. MDA might work, but you would still need special software to actually do anything with it.

VGA can co-exist with CGA (and presumably Tandy's enhanced CGA) as long as the VGA card operates in MDA compatibility mode.

A Tandy 1000 *X will disable its onboard video if a VGA or EGA card is installed. Finding a PLUS-style card for the EX or HX is a much more difficult proposition.

Has anyone tried to install an MDA/Hercules card in a Tandy 1000, SX or TX? There is no hardware reason why it should not work, but I wonder whether there is BIOS support for MDA. *Ls have MDA/Hercules built in.

A Tandy 1000 *X will disable its onboard video if a VGA or EGA card is installed. Finding a PLUS-style card for the EX or HX is a much more difficult proposition.

Has anyone tried to install an MDA/Hercules card in a Tandy 1000, SX or TX? There is no hardware reason why it should not work, but I wonder whether there is BIOS support for MDA. *Ls have MDA/Hercules built in.

On the EX, so long as you have the 640k upgrade with DMA, you can build your own PLUS to ISA adapter. I did that for one of the XT-IDE cards I have in mine.

I wonder if you could put VGA in the Tandy EX. I should try that! Gimme a minute..

Nope. VGA on a EX or HX is impossible. System does not detect a different video card installed.

According to DCS Industries and PC Enterprises, it is possible to have EGA and VGA in an EX or HX. They each made a VGA PLUS card. I have personally used an EGA and VGA card with an SX, so it is theoretically possible for the EX (which uses the same BIOS as the SX) and HX. DCS also indicates that you can use a Hercules card in an SX or TX. The BIOS support must be there.

Back