• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Amiga 3000, Dead? Please dont say so :(

Those jumpers are very important, but it won't do anything without ROMs.

Interestingly, an A3000/25 runs about the same speed with the stock CPU as with an A3640. And, the rather large amount of heat introduced inside that small case by the '040 is very problematic.

Not sure exactly what you mean here... They both run at 25MHz, but one is 68030, and the other is 68040. Quite a difference in speed. The 3640 roughly triples the speed of the A3000.

Now, the stars must be aligned just right to get the 3640 to work in an A3000. You have to have real 2.0x ROMs (not softkicked), the card has to be the right version (3.1 or maybe 3.2 with correct PALs), the jumpers have to be correct, it has to have low-profile heatsync, and there is the issue of heat you mention. However, there are very few accelerators for the 3000, so it is worth it if you can get it working. I wouldn't try until the rest of the machine is stable, though.

Last edited:
Have you ever done it?

The benchmarks are about the same. Or, I had two defective ones.

Mind you, I did this just after getting a CyberStormPPC with 060/50, so maybe I was biased. In any case, I had determined the A3640 was not worthwhile in an A3000, even after resolving the heat issue.

ISTR the A3640 was quite a lot faster... the 040 remember had a number of improvements over the '030, not least of which was a larger cache.

That sure doesn't seem right. Granted, my memory of things 17 years ago isn't perfect, but I wouldn't have abandoned an A3640 if it was 3x as fast as the stock machine. I wouldn't have abandoned it if it was twice as fast. It just wasn't.

The Warp Engine was significantly faster. The only thing the A3640 did was get hot.

A3640 has a slight problem performance wise, and that is that you don't get more fastMem.

FastMem expansion is something the A3000 Simply needs.
one of the general Mods used by the A4000 can be used, if you think about what it implies.

hey guys, unrelated to this a3000, any idea where I can find a proper replacement socket for the motorola 68k? the 64 pin version.

I cant find them anywhere, the ones i find are too small..

SoftwareHut (I think it was) used to sell those sockets, as extensions for the purpose of raising up the Derringer accelerators above the motherboard.

I wouldn't be surprised if some Amiga dealer(s) still have stock.

This looks very weird, but it may pay to ask.

64-pin sockets are hard to find? - I got a grab-bag of sockets from Jameco about a year or so ago; it had 4 64-pin sockets in there. I've used one to replace a socket in an Amiga 2000 board already.

Although come to think of it, that A2000 is still fritzing, so take this post fwiw.

64-pin sockets are hard to find? - I got a grab-bag of sockets from Jameco about a year or so ago; it had 4 64-pin sockets in there. I've used one to replace a socket in an Amiga 2000 board already.

Although come to think of it, that A2000 is still fritzing, so take this post fwiw.

so back on topic, I ordered a set of amiga 3000 specific kickstart 3.1 roms.

Lets hope when I pop these in i get SOME sort of life, even if it just a colored screen telling me what is wrong.

IN all im trying to repair a 1000 system, a 2000 system and a 3000 system, all 3 dead. :(

I have a bad feeling this 3000 is done for though.

I have a bad feeling this 3000 is done for though.

I don't know why you think that. I wouldn't think anything until I see the boot colors.

2.0 ROMs are better for diagnostics. But, you really want to have 3.1 ROMs when it's working anyway.

I don't know why you think that. I wouldn't think anything until I see the boot colors.

2.0 ROMs are better for diagnostics. But, you really want to have 3.1 ROMs when it's working anyway.

I can count about 3 or 4 traces that are burnt off by the battery acid.. :(

If they are only for the battery memory, it wouldn't be "done for". In any case, 3 or 4 broken traces is a really easy fix, if that's all it is.

If they are only for the battery memory, it wouldn't be "done for". In any case, 3 or 4 broken traces is a really easy fix, if that's all it is.

lets hope so. I'll let you know as soon as I get the chips.

are they in the correct sockets? Did you find out if you're supposed to have a ROM tower? Is the CPU running? Did you do the caps lock test?

I was thinking that too. With 1.4 or 2.0 ROMs, one would get a yellow screen if trying to boot without the daughterboard. Under 3.1, I don't think that's the case, and I don't recall what the result is.

Back