• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Amiga 3000, Dead? Please dont say so :(

This might seem like a weird question but did you test it with or without the daughter board inserted?

Yeah, no difference without the daughterboard. Also yes the chips are labelled with which socket they go into. And from what I can tell the Mobo on this is a later revision which doesnt need the rom tower...

Not sure what the caps lock test is? The caps light flashes once when i power on..

Did you try to swap the ROMs? I mean put the ROM0 in the ROM1 socket and the ROM1 in the ROM0 socket. Some A3000 mobo were mislabelled. Don't try to turn them around, always respect pin 1 identification, though.

That is true. It was even on a note that came with ROMs for a while.

Also, are there any peripherals plugged in? An A3000 without a battery will take an eternity to scan the SCSI bus and it's pretty common to have a dead SCSI LED in an A3000.

That is true. It was even on a note that came with ROMs for a while.

Also, are there any peripherals plugged in? An A3000 without a battery will take an eternity to scan the SCSI bus and it's pretty common to have a dead SCSI LED in an A3000.

how long after power on should i wait before i call it dead?

swappng the roms now! will let you know how it goes

nope, stops about 12 to 15 clicks of the capslock key

Your CPU is not running, or it's running the wrong thing.

Make sure J100 is 1-2, J102 is 2-3, J103 is 2-3, J104 is 1-2. J151 and J152 should be 1-2. This is for a 25MHz system. I'd have to do some research to determine what it would be if you have a 16MHz machine. But this information is online somewhere, albeit in a confusing way probably.

If that is all correct, the next thing I'd do is fix the motherboard damage. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, it shouldn't be hard finding someone in LA that would do it.

how long after power on should i wait before i call it dead?

Ten minutes. That's more than enough time for the SCSI bus scan. But, it appears your CPU isn't running, so you're not even to the point of booting yet.

Your CPU is not running, or it's running the wrong thing.

Make sure J100 is 1-2, J102 is 2-3, J103 is 2-3, J104 is 1-2. J151 and J152 should be 1-2. This is for a 25MHz system. I'd have to do some research to determine what it would be if you have a 16MHz machine. But this information is online somewhere, albeit in a confusing way probably.

If that is all correct, the next thing I'd do is fix the motherboard damage. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, it shouldn't be hard finding someone in LA that would do it.

j103 was set to 3-4, i moved it 2-3, gonna try to run it for 10 minutes, see if anything happens.

Any idea how I can hunt down someone that could repair the board? I didnt have too much luck doing repairs on a 2000 I was trying to fix.

j103 was set to 3-4, i moved it 2-3, gonna try to run it for 10 minutes, see if anything happens.

Any idea how I can hunt down someone that could repair the board? I didnt have too much luck doing repairs on a 2000 I was trying to fix.

There are a lot of shops in the yellow pages there, but I have no idea what they charge. Else, ask around on here, or, find a 'maker' club or an amateur radio club near you. Someone in one of those clubs is bound to want to help you.

check the Reset line the BR line and the _AS line with a scope.
If the BR line is low when RST rises there is bus contention.
If _AS does not strobe the CPU is either locked or dead.

This thread gave me the boost I needed to finally upgrade my A3000 with 3.1 roms. So I bought and installed them, works great! While I was at it, I made a few tests.

ROMs labelling: my old 2.04 ROMs are labelled "ROM0" and "ROM1". They must be inserted in the wrong socket for the computer to boot, that is, ROM0 in the ROM1 socket, and ROM1 in the ROM0 socket. On the other hand, my new 3.1 ROMS are labelled "U180" and "U181". These markings are correct. They must be inserted in the corresponding socket.

Booting without the daughter card: I got the same result with 2.04 and 3.1 ROMs correctly installed. A yellow screen appears for 1 second, then black. Power led flashes ten times then stays low. Caps lock, when pressed, comes on and off six times, then stays off.

Booting without ROMs, without the daughter card: Screen stays black, power led stays low (doesn't flash). Caps lock, when pressed, comes on and off six times, then stays off. Installing the 3.1 ROMs the wrong way gives the same results as no ROMs.

This thread gave me the boost I needed to finally upgrade my A3000 with 3.1 roms. So I bought and installed them, works great! While I was at it, I made a few tests.

That is very good information, thank you.

Now you can install OS3.9 :cool:

Back