• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5.25" 96 track per inch

The Catweasel was a special disk controller primarily for handling some more "exotic" disk formats... it could read GCR encoded floppies for Amiga and Apple for example. If all you're interested in is IBM compatible disk formats then you shouldn't need one.

But this one allows me to use 3.5" 720 / 1440 kB - 5.25" 360 / 720 / 800 / 1200 kB floppy drives, or am i completely wrong?
I know you cant boot from this card, i just want to be able to use higher capacity disks internal, i use a backpack external atm. And i have a lot of unused HD 5.25" disks that just collecting dust..and thats a shame!

Last edited:
But this one allows me to use 3.5" 720 / 1440 kB - 5.25" 360 / 720 / 800 / 1200 kB floppy drives, or am i completely wrong?
It does, but we're trying to work out why you want to go with that option.

There are better or cheaper solutions for doing this if all you want is to read/write to PC disks.

Also note that the Catweasel is not the usual disk controller. It is extremely stupid, leaving the details to driver software, which is where it gets its generality. But you can't, for example, use it to write a single sector--it can only write full tracks at a minimum. Similarly, since it stores raw flux change data in a buffer before transferring it to the host, a read will involve reading a whole track, then using software to pick out what you want.

Data separation is done by software, which is not always better than or even eual to hardware separation done in a traditional disk controller.

It's a special-purpose tool. The interface is not BIOS-compatible.

It does, but we're trying to work out why you want to go with that option.

There are better or cheaper solutions for doing this if all you want is to read/write to PC disks.

That depend on the shipping for the card you talking about if it going to be cheaper. But are you talking about the new card or use a old 16 bit one?

For "cheaper" - Using an old 16 bit one. The 16bit extension just hangs off the end of the 8 bit slot.
Should be able to find locally (I hope) in someones old PC junk pile. I wouldn't spend much on it. I prefer models with jumpers so I can disable the stuff I don't want, but not necessary.

I know you cant boot from this card, i just want to be able to use higher capacity disks internal, i use a backpack external atm. And i have a lot of unused HD 5.25" disks that just collecting dust..and thats a shame!
A tweener will do all that and more! It's also something anybody who's interested in this vintage stuff should have. Without one you'll just be spinning your wheels time after time. They're cheap and relatively easy to come by and maintain.

Its pretty hard to find old cards here in Sweden, its not a big country like USA unfortunately. If you find one..im pretty sure its mounted in a pc. I was just lucky to find my XT with all manuals and a lot of floppy's. You almost never see any of these old PCs around here..95% is mostly C64 for sale.

And i have no room for a tweeny, and i also dont want one just to transfer files. Since i have a backpack floppy i can transfer files anyways with no problem. And my Tandon do not work properly, so a tweeny with a 5.25" is pointless for me. But...i have ordered some fresh new 5.25" floppys to see whats really is wrong, my floppys or the Tandon.

So if my HDD would fail..then i cant boot it up again if i cant find a good Tandon.

Well, there are enough of us here, if your Tandon OR your hard drive fails in some way, we can help you with repairs, or at the very least, source you the parts you need, usually a boat load cheaper than EBay to boot. If your looking to use HD in an old XT class, there are 8-bit high density controllers still in the wild, why not just find one of those?

Well, there are enough of us here, if your Tandon OR your hard drive fails in some way, we can help you with repairs, or at the very least, source you the parts you need, usually a boat load cheaper than EBay to boot. If your looking to use HD in an old XT class, there are 8-bit high density controllers still in the wild, why not just find one of those?

Thanks thats nice to hear, my main problem is my Tandon, and i will know for sure tomorrow with the new fresh floppys if it works or not..if it can read these ones "96 tracks per inch" floppys. im not so good at hardware, i would love to have one of these 8.bit hd cards, but i know so little about them so i would probably buy the wrong thing lol. And these is pretty hard to get for what i have heard?

I can't go along with your logic in these matters.

Its pretty hard to find old cards here in Sweden, its not a big country like USA unfortunately. If you find one..im pretty sure its mounted in a pc.
What has Sweden got to do with anything? Take the blinders off and start thinking realistically. You are here, on an international forum, in a world that has a global economy. WTF does Sweden (or any country) matter in that setting?

And i have no room for a tweeny, and i also dont want one just to transfer files.
Once again, a tweener is not just for transferring files. If you don't know that, yet, you haven't done your homework. Start reading!

So if my HDD would fail..then i cant boot it up again if i cant find a good Tandon.
With an attitude like that it's a wonder that you can get anything done at all. Everybody here (and everywhere, for that matter) has equipment with components that are subject to failure at any time. There are plenty of alternatives and remedies for that problem. Learn to deal with it or get another hobby if it's unmanageable for you. But please, stop crying about every little thing. Take control of your own environment and you'll do much better with all this old, dilapidated equipment. Face the reality that this old stuff we enjoy so much comes with its own set of difficulties and challenges. I think that in itself is part of why it's so much fun. :)

I can't go along with your logic in these matters.

What has Sweden got to do with anything? Take the blinders off and start thinking realistically. You are here, on an international forum, in a world that has a global economy. WTF does Sweden (or any country) matter in that setting?

I think his issue is with shipping costs. You get a part that's worth a couple of bucks, and you end up paying 20-30 for it etc etc
I'd hope ebay.co.uk (or similar) could provide some results with lower shipping options though.

I just spent $40 (local currency) getting 4 capacitors from the US. Worth it though - they are man-sized beasts.

He said to get one local, Sweden IS local for ME, so it matters in that way + shipping cost world wide.

Once again, a tweener is not just for transferring files. If you don't know that, yet, you haven't done your homework. Start reading!
im not interested in a tweeny as i said!

With an attitude like that it's a wonder that you can get anything done at all. Everybody here (and everywhere, for that matter) has equipment with components that are subject to failure at any time. There are plenty of alternatives and remedies for that problem. Learn to deal with it or get another hobby if it's unmanageable for you. But please, stop crying about every little thing. Take control of your own environment and you'll do much better with all this old, dilapidated equipment. Face the reality that this old stuff we enjoy so much comes with its own set of difficulties and challenges. I think that in itself is part of why it's so much fun. :)

Good for you if you maybe are old enough so you were playing with these machines as a kid or worked with them. You cant expect everyone to have same knowledge as you do? And where in this topic did i say that i cant deal with it? and im not crying... i use far way older things from the 50's, so i do know things crash soemtimes like my TV from 59 that i repaired, i even have a car from 55..you think i would buy these 60 years old things and believe that they will live for ever? And you talk like you think im stupid, so please, if you gonna keep being rude, dont post in my topics anymore!

Come on now, all cruising said is that he doesn't want a tweener machine, and if you don't have the space for one, why bother with it? That's where having *in this case* an XT with some sort of HD floppy drive capability is useful, direct transfer between a modern pc and the pc, with no questions asked. There are MANY ways of doing this, all of which are in these forums. Using an 8-bit HD controller, using a 16-bit super I/o with only the floppy enabled via 2MXbios, just to name a couple.

Stone, I appreciate having a tweener just as much as the next guy, but everyone's needs do vary, as such, so does mileage. If he doesn't want one due to some kind of constraint, then so be it, he doesn't want one. AND I admit, when I first got into the vintage computing scene, I was worried where I would find the parts to, we can't jump on him for having such concerns. Maybe, just Maybe it IS hard to find parts in Sweden, I wouldn't know, I'm not from there. Maybe he knows costs to ship internationally can get prohibitive as well?

Cruising, Stone has some good points about the tweener machine, however as you have stated, you don't want. No big deal, just look for the other 8-bit HD solutions that exist, earlier in this thread XT-FDC was mentioned, I also mentioned 8-bit HD floppy controllers from that era, I have 2 of those, it was also mentioned using 2MXbios, in this thread as well. No one here is out to get you, and I don't believe that Stone was trying to come across as rude in ANY sense of the term, some of us on these forums have been around long enough, we just get right to the point.

I would rather help someone, even if we can't give a complete solution to an issue, rather than see anyone arguing about anything. This thread is about a floppy question, can we get it back to that topic without ripping each others heads off?

I think there might be a few XT-FDC boards still kicking around. That would certainly handle the high-density needs.

Is it worth mentioning XT boards than can handle high density, for the OP to search out?

I have Sergey's ISA Floppy disk and serial controller boards available: http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-projects/isa-fdc-and-uart

Please note that these are just the boards. You'd have to source and install the components yourself.

I sell them for cost as part of the hobby. They're $10 each. Shipping for $5.95 in the US. Outside the US whatever the actual shipping cost is.

See http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/35044530/PCB Inventory for other ISA boards available.

If interested PM me here or email to tsg at bonedaddy.net

Thanks,

Todd

Back