• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8-Bit Atari systems may (someday) get a Mac-like OS.

circuit breaker

Hey everyone...don't know if anyone is familiar with this project:

http://www.atari8.co.uk/gui/index.html

It's been going on for a while now but the dev is basically a one-man band with other irons in the fire, too, but I thought it was interesting.

I was a C64 guy, but I actually think that's a pretty good looking OS he's got going on there.

GEOS on the C64 (or better yet C128) was only really "usable" with a memory expansion device (512k was best) and multiple floppy drives plus a mouse. Not sure how well an Atari 800 would do.

The Atari 8-bit line had Diamond GOS, which was a GEOS lookalike. A Google search will turn up a bunch of screenshots and videos. It might not be as nice as Mac OS or even GEOS, but it was a Mac-like GUI.

GEOS on the C64 (or better yet C128) was only really "usable" with a memory expansion device (512k was best) and multiple floppy drives plus a mouse. Not sure how well an Atari 800 would do.

I used GeoWrite on a number of occasions on my pitiful unexpanded C-64 and single 1541. It was useable. Not fast by any means but I was able to crank out some flyers and newsletters with it.

I used GeoWrite on a number of occasions on my pitiful unexpanded C-64 and single 1541. It was useable. Not fast by any means but I was able to crank out some flyers and newsletters with it.
The kids did as well. No mouse required either iirc.

Last edited:
Diamond was a good attempt, but far from perfect. I've been following the progress on the new GUI (ahem in the other Atari forum) for some time. Looks very promising, and it's amazing to see what the machine is capable of with a well thought out and well written project.

Back