• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

EPROM Programmer

Smack2k

Veteran Member
What would this community say is the:

Best EPROM programmer overall?

Best one to buy if not a "all the time" user?

Thanks, looking into them for the holidays and starting to look now!

I never got into the Data I/O UniSite line. Looks like it takes some research before buying one about the various revision level details and the availability of current device programming software. I suppose once you figure that out they are a good way to go.

I have gone with BP Microsystems device programmers myself. A used BP-1400 should be maybe in the $200 range and the last couple of BP-1600 I saw on eBay were around $340. The LPT port ones stopped being supported by new software releases a year or two ago. I moved up to a USB interface BP-1410 which are currently supported with free software updates. Don't remember seeing any other of the USB interface models on eBay in the last year or so other than the one I bought.

Dataman 48pro2 is what I bought. It has ended my buying multiple programmers both old and new to try to cover all the EPROMs, micro controllers, and provides testing of ICs. The IC testing is documented so you can write your own tests. I added a few for 8Txx chips.

Kipp

WOW...I did ask...that is amazing..

I am just starting to investigate this, but that Dataman 48pro2 looks nice, very pricey...

Still learning as I go, but the only EPROM's I am concerned with woudl be MOBO ROM's / BIOS...for now.

This any good? -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLG03f_ua5g

Last edited:
My willem seems to do the job pretty well considering it only cost $40.
However now I own a Data I/O 29B so that might change once I try it a few times.

One thing that you should clarify for yourself is if you want to program UV EPROMs (you'll need to get an eraser for those) or EEPROMs (no eraser needed). For the last bunch of years, I've used EEPROMs in place of EPROMs. Prices are approximately the same, as the UV versions are getting scarcer.

Thanks for that Chuck(G), I will look into those as well....can the Programmers do both UV EPROM and EEPROM to program them? I know I'd need an eraser for the UV ones, and that is fine as I have a bunch that I pull from boards, but wsa curious if one programmer would do them both?

I recently picked up my first EEPROM/EPROM programmer. I got the GQ-4X programmer from MCUmall. It has a nice case and can use Willem adapters or their own adapters. I purchased the GQ-4X "Full Pack" and the ADP-054 adapter for 16-Bit chips.

The USB connection and software that is easy to use make it a great option.

Good luck,

Heather

*EDIT* For UV EPROMs, I picked up a cheap UV eraser on eBay. Works great.

I can second the GQ-4X. I bought one a couple of years ago to program 2732s, 64s and 128s and it's worked very well, especially for the price. I don't believe it shipped with an AC adapter so you'll need to go to Radio Shack to pick up the right one (watch the polarities). The programmer will power-up over just USB and read EPROMS fine, but the USB bus doesn't supply enough current for programming. The only issue I've had with the GQ is that I have to burn at 1x speed. Attempting to burn EPROMs at higher speeds usually didn't take. And like the above post mentioned, don't forget the UV eraser if you're using EPROMs instead of EEPROMs.

Thanks for that Chuck(G), I will look into those as well....can the Programmers do both UV EPROM and EEPROM to program them? I know I'd need an eraser for the UV ones, and that is fine as I have a bunch that I pull from boards, but wsa curious if one programmer would do them both?

In my experience, yes. In fact, I suspect that a number of programmers purchased never will see use with a UV EPROM.

+2 for the GP-4X, as both Chromedome45 and I have one. For general use, it's hard to beat the price/performance combo. I've programmed everything from uv chips to make repro-NES cartridges, to bios roms, to kickstart roms, and PIC chips with mine.

I may be mistaken, but ISTR that Mike Brutman got one as well, though I'm not sure of his experiences with it.

I have a GQ-4X i bought in 2010, It's a pretty good programmer for the price though doesn't support Pals / Gals but i have a couple of Data I/O programmers to do them and older chips the GQ-4X doesn't support. According to MCUmall there is a GQ-5 on the horizon, it'll be interesting to see the device list and actual cost when it's released.

I recently picked up my first EEPROM/EPROM programmer. I got the GQ-4X programmer from MCUmall. It has a nice case and can use Willem adapters or their own adapters. I purchased the GQ-4X "Full Pack" and the ADP-054 adapter for 16-Bit chips.

The USB connection and software that is easy to use make it a great option.

Good luck,

Heather

*EDIT* For UV EPROMs, I picked up a cheap UV eraser on eBay. Works great.

Heather / All,

How much did you guys drop for the whole unit and adapters as well?

Thanks!!

I paid full retail, which is about $158 + shipping total for the 'Full' version of the GQ-4X and the ADP-054. You can get the 'Light' version of the GQ-4X that comes with fewer adapters included for $25 less. So, look at the differences to decide which you would like. You *may* be able to buy through their eBay store for a little less than retail or maybe free shipping.

Good luck!

Heather

I used a Needham's Electronics PB-10 8-bit ISA card for all my EPROM needs. It was a gift from a professor who agreed I could "put it to better use that he could", provided I dump his ROMs on request.

The MAME community isn't fond of Needham's for one reason or another, but for just dumping BIOS ROMs, it's perfectly fine. The software requires a 286 or above (according to a mirror of the website), but it runs perfectly fine on my 6-Mhz PC AT.

Back