• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Problems with IBM 0665-38

m1k3e

Hi all,

Looks like I spoke too soon about getting my AT working. I think something's wrong with the hard disk or the controller. Sometimes the computer boots just fine, other times it fails with a 1780 error. Before the error code pops up, the drive attempts to read for ~2 seconds (which repeats 4-5x). In a side note, the drive made the same exact noises when I accidentally plugged the data ribbon cable into the wrong header on the controller. When the system wouldn't boot last night, I tried to low-level format the drive with SpeedStor and it failed with 0x80 controller error. SpeedStor was however able to perform a regular format. I was able to transfer a system over to the disk drive and it was able to boot on its own again. When I tried to turn the system on this morning (which was a few hours later!), the same 1780 error began occurring again. I was able to boot off a floppy disk which let me run SpeedStor. All non-destructive diagnostics passed but the system still wouldn't boot. I'm kinda scratching my head at this point. I'm not sure if the problem is with the controller, as I have a late model AT with 11/1985 BIOS but the computer came with the first generation disk controller. The only other reason why I think it may be related to the controller my 3.5" disk drive occasionally gives me read errors on known good floppy disks that work perfectly in my other computers. Anyways, I'm not really sure how I should proceed with this, so any help or tips would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks again as always.

1) Did you run the controller diagnostics with SpeedStor?

2) The 3.5" disk issue is unrelated to the HDD issue. Even though the HDD controller and FDD controller are on the same piece of circuit board they are two distinct entities.

My guess is it's the drive.

Where are you located?

I have an IBM 0665 30MB drive in excellent condition if you're interested:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?32719-IBM-0665-30-mb-MFM-drive

I'm not sure if the problem is with the controller, as I have a late model AT with 11/1985 BIOS but the computer came with the first generation disk controller.
That controller/drive combination is valid. IBM offered a 30 MB upgrade kit (30 MB drive + BIOS ROM) to owners of early 5170s.

I tried to low-level format the drive with SpeedStor and it failed with 0x80 controller error.
Some may enterpret that as SpeedStor indicating the controller to be in error. I enterpret it as: the controller returned error code 0x80.

Your problem is intermittent, which means that diagnostics will pass on many runs. I appreciate that you do not have spares to swap in to isolate the problem cause to either the controller, cable, or drive.

One thing to try: Clean the gold plated edge connectors on the controller. Then remove/reinsert the controller many times into the socket (the same socket) in order to help clean the mating contacts in the socket. I remember that a few years ago, that action fixed a member's intermitent problems with a hard drive in a 5170.

Please update the 'location' part of your profile ('My Profile'/'About Me').

I tried cleaning the edge connectors on the controller but no luck. Disk seemed to be making a clicking sound when it was winding down after powering off as well so I'm assuming it's the drive. I wound up picking up a XT-CF-Lite V4 board and now have the system booting PC DOS 5.0 from a CF card :) Thanks for all the help guys.

Back