• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 ISO available?

NobodyIsHere

Veteran Member
Hi

I am repairing a damaged computer (Dell Dimension E310) for a friend. The computer has a severe virus/malware infestation. While cleaning out the virus (IRP Hook) the machine no longer boots (Win XP MCE 2005).

I need a set of Win XP MCE 2005 CDs to repair the system but my friend cannot find the original disks. I do have a license number on the computer and it was obviously running the program so it is legitimate. All I need is the original media and can supply the license number.

Does anyone have a set of WinXP MCE 2005 CDs they could make some ISOs for me? I would appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Last edited:
Be aware that you might not be able to use the factory-supplied key with a retail MCE 2005 - M$ often wouldn't allow keys from OEM installations to work with OEM/Retail discs.

All he needs is the media to restore, i ran into this with an HP i had to work on. The only thing they wouldn't let you do is upgrade from MCE to PRO, the hp always hung up and kept saying key wasn't valid. But in his case, you might be able to download the ISO from M$ still *probably not but worth a look*, since you have a legit key available, you could just look for a torrent, download and burn it. Now moderators, i'm not suggesting piracy as he has a legit key available to him?

Hi

That's right, I have a legit installation with a product key on my friends computer. Presumably there were original installation CDs at some point but they aren't available any more. Basically I need the replacement CDs just to fix this computer. Dell does have a way to get their OEM CDs for WinXP MCE 2005 and I've sent a link to my friend to request them.

This is not piracy, it is getting the original media or replacement media for a legitimate installation with a product key (license). If I could find an ISO it would save us some time and jumping through flaming hoops with Dell. I really need the CDs only to do a "repair" mode installation on an existing install on the C: drive.

Any tips or pointers appreciated. Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

While it's not what you really want to do, Dell will probably send you some free disks, they've done it in the past for me and just sent out the OS, drivers and PowerDVD disk (totally needed PowerDVD it seems). Here's the link: https://support.dell.com/support/to...ort/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?DoNotRedirect=y

Unfortunately I don't actually have a XP MCE disk set, I've been wanting a physical copy for a while but never really found one.

you really should just look for the ISO file, any somewhat respectable site will have it available to download since yours is already legit, there should be no problems as far as legalities all you're doing is getting the back of the software that you're legally entitled to.

I have a copy of the disks, there were two , one contained the os and the other the add ons.
I could make the iso for each one and post the link to download them, if you like.
, you will need a valid key, Give me a few days.

I have a copy of the disks, there were two , one contained the os and the other the add ons.
I could make the iso for each one and post the link to download them, if you like.

Hi
Yes, please. I have a product key license for this machine and can send you a photo for verification if needed. This is purely a replacement of the lost media of a legal install. Maybe the owner can recover the lost CDs and I certainly hope so but the computer is stuck on the bench for now.

I really appreciate your help. I recommend if you post on a server to keep the link private and behind a "no robots.txt" so that it doesn't get misinterpreted by TPTB.

Thanks in advance. Have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

MCE2005 is only an OEM product, so no "retail" key problems to worry about. A Dell that new should have come with a single DVD with the MCE2005 installation. That machine may require Intel AHCI drivers to install so have a floppy drive handy to load the drivers off of.

Most of the dells I have worked on have a restore partition unless someone wiped the entire drive. There are instructions laying around somewhere to activate the partition restore on the dell site.

Matt

From what I understand there is no OEM/Retail version of MCE 2005, it only existed on Dell PCs. So was made specifically for Dell and, hopefully, all the Dell keys should work w/ it.

Be aware that you might not be able to use the factory-supplied key with a retail MCE 2005 - M$ often wouldn't allow keys from OEM installations to work with OEM/Retail discs.

Mce 2005 iso

Mce 2005 iso

If you have an FTP server AJ I can upload the ISO for you.

I'd love to get a copy of that arrow_runner, been looking all over for one! How large is the ISO? I can set up a quick FTP server for you to upload to if that's the best way for you to get it to me. Much appreciated! Scott

I would love to get a copy of that ISO arrow_runner. I've been looking around for one but not easy to find. My sister's old Dell MCE 2005 needs a rebuild. If I set up an FTP server would that be the best way for you to get it to me? Much appreciated! thanks, Scott

If you have an FTP server AJ I can upload the ISO for you.

Is this thread still active ?.. i am in a similar situation, inherited my Dads laptop when he passed away (Gateway, 2GB, 100GB, 2.5mhz) it crashed, retrieved data but want to load fresh install, i have valid original licence for xp media edition on laptop but no disks etc.. any chance i can get a copy of the ISO's too ?.. i have a hosted website so i can give temp ftp access.. would be really great as machine is too good to throw away, been watching ebay but disks for media edition just don't turn up.. i've seen a couple at silly prices i could just buy windows 7 for, rather keep an xp version on here as potentially better performance ?

Thanks in advance for any help ! :D

At this point if the machine is for day to day use, just find a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. Same feature set and will receive updates past April.

Hello, did you ever post the link for this iso download? If so, I could really use this too. I have a Dell E310 also that crashed and I need the XP MCE disks to restore the OS. Would greatly appreciate it.

If this thread is still active I'd also love to get a copy of that ISO, arrow_runner, or whoever may have posted it. I have an ftp also. Please let me know; trying to recover an old E310 that crashed with critical files on it. Much obliged in advance!

Would you do this for me? I am trying to reinstall MCE, but can't find any disks or ISOs. It would help a lot if you will do this. I do have a legal license- on the bottom of my laptop. Are you in Canton, PA????????????

Back