• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Prolinea 4/66 slow HD transfer rate and missing Setup/Test diskette.

interalia

Hi

Couple of questions about my Prolinea 4/66.

I have just soldered on a new Panasonic BR2330/GUN battery onto the motherboard and everything seems to be working fine.
In it is a SB AWE64 Gold card and and Etherlink III combo NIC that connects to my NetWare 3.12 server.

It seems slow on HD transfers though. If I run Norton SI the disk performance benchmark shows it at (XT = 1) 3.8 and on the same chart the Compaq 386/33 is shown as 8.4. The actual transfer rate is only 21 Kb/sec

Scandisk is fine, it has been defraged and the HD isn't retrying or anything

Anyone got any ideas?

I am also missing the F10 bios partition and the setup disk to create it. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a Compaq setup diskette image?

Cheers

Neil

Surrey,UK

I think the F10 download should be off of this webpage. Check out the other downloads as well. http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/swdHome/?lang=en&cc=us&sp4ts.oid=100639 under DOS or Windows 3.1 downloads.

What model hard drive do you have? I remember the Prolinea IDE drive as being slow but not that slow.

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

The drive is a Fujitsu MT2684TM with ticket on it dated 10/1995. I don't know if this an original disk, I think the machine is UK assembled judging from the Compaq sticker underneath.

Regards

Neil

I have very little information about Fujitsu drives and nothing about the model you mentioned. I would expect an IDE drive from 1995 to transfer several MBs per second.

My suggestions are limited. Toshiba bought out Fujitsu drives and list the diagnostic program as still being available for download. http://storage.toshiba.com/storage-services-support/warranty-support/software-utilities Make sure I linked to proper tools and give the drive a test.

Go through the drive jumpers and BIOS settings and verify that nothing is forcing a lower speed.

Folks

Success! Downloaded the Setup/Diags from the site link above then backed up the HD to my NW 3.12 Server. Ran up the Compaq BIOS from the floppy, it was reporting a HD config change to 42 1023/16/6 from the user definable 65 that was set to 1022/16/6. I then scratched the hard disk , made the diags partition at the front, reformatted the rest and restored from the server. SI is now reporting index 13 up from 3.8!a

Thanks for all the assistance

Regards

Neil

Back