• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Just got another original Apple-1 running

Corey986

Administrator
Figured some of you might be interested in what I've been up to for the past two weeks. I was hired by Bonham's in NYC to get a newly discovered and soon to be auctioned in October Apple-1 running.

The board is in amazing shape. It's an early Byte-Shop board and has no modifications, an un-used and perfect breadboard area and even the screws on the LM323k aren't heat cycled. The board required some troubleshooting as it is 38 years old. The ACI needed a some triage but it's 100% now. I tested/examined every chip on both board and ACI and ESR'd all electrolytic caps before powering on.
At first I used my keyboard and power supply, then I repaired their power supply and made it safe.

The keyboard was a problem. Apple-1 did not come with a keyboard, this keyboard was wired up for the Apple-1 by the original owner. The ICs on the keyboard are pre-7400 series chips. There was a dead gate on an inverted hex buffer. Not having schematics this was fun to track down. I had to desolder the chip, socket it just in case it goes again in the future (Mike W. figures at some point the KB was plugged in backwards). I replaced it with a date correct part. I also repaired the reset button which is an external switch that simply hangs off two wires. The left <CTRL> key is hard wired to clear screen....

Here are some pics....

IMG_0443_small.jpg

DSC_0610_small.jpg

IMG_0440_small.jpg

IMG_0439_small.jpg

IMG_0437_small.jpg

DSC_0637_small.jpg

DSC_0618_small.jpg

Cheers,
Corey

Every time you write about Apple I computers, it makes me want one to play with...

I want a real Apple ][ or ][e too.

I have a Laser 128 and a pair of ][gs computers. So, I'm not exactly without a ][ series computer to play with.

Corey,

Great job--will have to see how it does on auction! Was the board hand numbered by the Byte Shop? Just curious if this might have been one of the Apple 1's that I used to have. My Apple 1 from the Byte Shop was numbered 01-0005 on the back side with a black marking pen.

Craig

Corey,

Great job--will have to see how it does on auction! Was the board hand numbered by the Byte Shop? Just curious if this might have been one of the Apple 1's that I used to have. My Apple 1 from the Byte Shop was numbered 01-0005 on the back side with a black marking pen.

Craig

Yes this board is hand marked on the back. I don't have my notes and pics on me to tell you the number off hand. I'll IM you the info tomorrow.

Cheers,
Corey

Back