• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

4032 on listed on ebay -- what is a good price?

I see a 4032 listed on ebay. It looks pretty rough and has "no wires". There is a photo posted with the case open. I am afraid it might be a project beyond my ability. What do you think is a good price for it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/commodore-pet-computer-Model-4032-/151412278193?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item2340e003b1

$30-40. Assume it does not work. Otherwise seller would power on, takes 2 seconds to show boot screen. Expect an effort to repair. I'd wait for another one.
B

$200 + $50 shipping for this is crazy. Repair also may be fairly involved. There's a nasty looking pool of gunk on the right side of the motherboard.

When there are no pictures of it working, I'm always suspicious, especially with a computer with a built-in monitor and simple, generic power cord. At least if it's something that requires a specific monitor, the seller might say, "I don't have a monitor to connect it to but the light comes on".

Way, way too expensive! Walk away and don't look back!

Keep your eyes on e-bay (or other sites) and on the Vintage Computer Forum 'for sale' if you are interested. You can also post a 'wanted' add on the forum. Eventually, a good example will come along (possibly in a working condition) for a similar price (or even cheaper). This would be the best way to go unless you are happy to spend a while trying to fix the beast. As other people have already said - if the 'owner' can't be bothered to switch it on to see if it works you can be pretty sure it doesn't!

Dave

I am pleased for the sound advice that all of you have offered.

I'll pass on this ebay auction but will keep monitoring as I do want a 40 column pet. I do have a little technical skill but I think I prefer to find one is working order. I have plenty of patience, so I will watch the forums as well.

Ken

You can usually save a lot of money buying as non working one in good cosmetic shape.

With enough patience you can find them like that very cheap on Craigslist.

PETs are easy to fix.

Last edited:
Back