• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TANDY 1000 RL/HD: What have you put in the one and only 8Bit-ISA Slot and why?

dr.zeissler

Experienced Member
Hi,

I am interested what Tandy 1000 RL/HD users have put into the one and only 8Bit slot of the machine and why they have put that card in it.

Thx
Doc

I don't have one, but if I did, I probably would put either an MPU-401 card, an Adlib card or Soundblaster card, or possible a ISA compact flash (because we all know how extremely useful those are!).

I have a TL/2 that has all the card slots full, and still wish I had 1 more for a ram card.

There are many choices for that one ISA slot. If you want to use the hard drive that came with the system, then among your best uses for the slot would be a sound card or an ethernet card. If you want more storage space than the 40MB maximum drives or quieter operation, then I would suggest an XT-IDE board and a Compact Flash adapter. If you have a more advanced DOS system, I would suggest using Interlnk with a LapLink cable to transfer files (you will need to solder a jumper) instead of the ethernet card. As you have a free serial port, you should use an external modem if you want to use a modem, but your speeds will be limited to 9600 baud.

As far as sound cards go, an Adlib or clone would be a good choice. Games using MPU-401 and MT-32 are not likely to run very fast on an RL. Still, you have fine built-in sound with the 3-voice sound and DAC. Sound Blasters, prior to the Pros, are not recommended because they and the built-in DAC will crash and burn over DMA1.

My suggestion would be to get an XT-IDE card with a Compact Flash or fast Disk on Module and run the system silent with a fast and large hard drive.

Would a riser card giving you two slots fit?

Even if that worked, you would always have to leave the cover off. Defeats the purpose in my opinion.

I don't have one, but if I did, I probably would put either an MPU-401 card, an Adlib card or Soundblaster card, or possible a ISA compact flash (because we all know how extremely useful those are!).

I have a TL/2 that has all the card slots full, and still wish I had 1 more for a ram card.

Thats why I have a regular TL with five slots :)

I currently have the single ISA slot in the RL populated with a Media Vision Pro AudioSpectrum 16. There are a fair number of sound/music-supporting titles that can be played reasonably well on the RL, and for which a soundcard can be a justifiable addition.

The single ISA slot limitation has been the bane of my existence, but due to the PAS-16, and having replaced the dreadfully noisy 20MB ST-325X with a practically whisper-quiet 40MB ST-351A/X recently, I have a newfound appreciation of the lowly Tandy 1000 RL. Taking into account the external 1GB Iomega Jaz storage (provided through use of a parallel-to-SCSI adapter), the system really isn't wanting for much, and having tested a fair number of games with this setup, I wouldn't hesitate to suggest that the RL can adequately handle most Tandy-supporting titles produced through ~1990.

If sound isn't your thing though, a VGA card can also be a worthy and worthwhile occupant of the single ISA slot, especially as concerns the use of newer monitors.

I've got an original-model Sound Blaster that I picked up from the recycle center a couple months back in there. (Still need to get the chips for the CMS in there, though.) Mostly because I had it to hand and figured "why not." The OPL2 does make a better rendition of the Pac-Man sounds in Paku Paku, anyway.

Back