• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PDP 11/45, Part 3

Marty

Veteran Member
Hi All;
Today, Tradde came by, and I helped Him put His 11/84 inside His place, where it should be.. And I got out the PDP 11/40 and PDP 11/45.. And showed them to Him..
I am going to now that its out, work on the PDP 11/45 again..
THANK YOU TIM, for coming over !!!!!

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
Jack, all I really need now Is for You to Move Here to Boulder, and Help me get this Beast going again..
Thank You for the Suggestion, and for giving me a Winter Project to look forward to..

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
Wow, Jack, I didn't know You have/had a PDP 11/45 !!!!!
Does Your Work ??
Maybe, when either of us is having trouble, the other can provide, some Correct signals for the other person, to compare with what they have in the troubling circuit..

THANK YOU Marty

You can see it here - http://tinyurl.com/ElevenFortyFive . It sat in a garage for a long time and got pretty dirty; it's been in heated storage for the last two years but I haven't touched it since I wheeled it in. There is a second expansion chassis that only holds a single M7891 memory card, so the first thing to do after a good cleaning and power supply checkout is to consolidate the two racks. After that???

Trouble is, I've been pretty deep into PDP-8's for the last few years so it's going to be hard to switch gears!

Jack

Hi Jack;
I am very Envious !!!!
According to what I can see in Your Picture(s), I have some Good News and some Bad News..
The Good News is that You have Floating Point Boards in it..
The Bad News is that you Don't have a Timing Board in that machine, (If I can believe the picture.)..
They are Very Scarce, One Maybe possibility, is to get an PDP 11/70 Timing Board and use it..
I know, I know that others have said they are not the same.. And the 11/45 will only Partially work with it in there..
And I have Yet, (Time willing) to Compare them Page by Page and IC by IC to see what can and what cannot be done..
There are Other Boards that are the Same between the two, and One Boards that can be made to work.. The Data Paths Board (M8100), being one.. As, I have an 11/70 Data Paths Board in my system, and it works.. (M8130)..
I Bought most every 11/70 Board, except Memory, just to compare them.. I think in Many of the Early 11/70's, they used as many of the 11/45 Boards as they could, they just Re-branded them on the top Rail.. At least that is what I have seen so far..

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Marty,

Good eyes! Somehow the M8109 (quad card) got separated from the chassis during storage in the prior owner's garage but the fellow who took the other stuff on the truck found it and an M792 diode ROM card in a box of cards and passed them on to me. I just need to keep track of the cards so I don't "lose" them before I can put them back in the chassis. That's part of the problem with having too much "stuff". I've got it in several locations and it's easy to misplace bits and pieces.

Jack

Hi All;
Jack, it has nothing to do with "Good eyes!"", its just having gone thru it many, many times in the Past and Present.. And it is shorter than the Rest, to me it just stick out like a "sore Thumb" ..
Glad, You actually have it !!

THANK YOU Marty

pick-up.jpg

Hey Jack, is that a TE16 I see all the way on the left end there? Looks like the remains of a Corporate Cabinet.

I only got the two tall racks; not too sure about the rest of the stuff other than that several generations of mice had raised their families in various nooks and crannies. Luckily, the 11/45 was largely spared. I guess the drives were more comfortable.

Jack

I know what you mean, some mice had a field day with my 11/730. Sorry you didn't get the TE16, I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

Hi All;
CRuff, Thank You for Responding..
Now I know..
I haven't made much progress on my 11/45, Since I have been sick with Hay-Fever since Friday.. My Roommate's Doctor says the Pollon Count is very, very high right now around here.. And I can't seem to be able to find my Logic Pulser, for pulsing and helping me check out (along with my scope) for Bad IC's..

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I have made some progress, Of the Ic's gates that I have tested, they work ..
But, I have found, something Wrong, at this point, I don't know, If I made them Wrong, or If It came to me that way..
What I found is that the signals C0 and C1 were not on slot 28, they were on slots 01, 26 and 27.. But, not on slot 28..
I have to take the Motherboard out of its holder and check and see what is there or what is not there.. And I will check out the Rest of the Signals for slot 28.. And see If any are Burned or just missing..

THANK YOU Marty

Back