• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM 5161 Extender Card

lyonadmiral

Veteran Member
I have a 5161 on the way with the cable but of course, don't have the extender card. I know they're rare and while I'm looking at seeing if we can possibly make some, does anyone have any they'd lend me just so I can test the unit out if you are not willing to sell it?

Thanks,
Dan

I keep getting the terminology mixed up, but I do have the card that sits in the expansion unit and the cable that goes with it.

I have a spare that I haven't tested yet. Let me check it out and get back to you. I'm not sure if I want to sell it but we can work something out since you just want to test your unit.

I just tried it out in one of my IBM 5155 without the 5161 hooked up to it. It gives an error 1801 at POST. I'm 99% sure they my other extender card doesn't throw an error message if nothing is hooked up to it.

I just tried it out in one of my IBM 5155 without the 5161 hooked up to it. It gives an error 1801 at POST. I'm 99% sure they my other extender card doesn't throw an error message if nothing is hooked up to it.
The BIOS revsion on the motherboard of an (unmodified) IBM 5155 is dated 11/08/82. The same BIOS is used in the early 5160s.
The 'power on self test' (POST) of the 11/08/8 BIOS is detailed at [here]. Step 26 shows the situation in which the POST generates an 1801 error.

Back