• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Comments awaiting Moderation

CanadaPhil

Experienced Member
Just an observation (and a test for this particular post...sort of)

I understand Im a new member and that I am treated differently as far as posting implications and such. But it seems that half of reply's show up immediately, while the others go to into moderation limbo.

I still have a few that have not showed up in a day now.

Oh well... Maybe they will be along shortly?

Haha
:)

I noticed this too. Also happens if I post more than a certain amount in a specific amount of time.

Maybe its coincidence, but my issue seems to be posting via my phone (now) or via a desktop.

I re-registered on the forum because I wanted to change my username, so I'm in the same boat. I think the difference is whether your post contains a link or not. I find posts that just contain text are posted immediately whereas posts that contain links must be approved first. This is no doubt because spammers will tend to post links. IMO I find the level of moderation for new users is a little heavy handed on this site. I understand the need to protect the site against spam, but really after the first couple of posts you generally know whether someone is a spammer or not. I'm up to almost 30 posts and I think my posts still get moderated if they have links.

. . . This is no doubt because spammers will tend to post links. IMO I find the level of moderation for new users is a little heavy handed on this site. I understand the need to protect the site against spam, but really after the first couple of posts you generally know whether someone is a spammer or not. I'm up to almost 30 posts and I think my posts still get moderated if they have links.

Links present a problem and it is only good practice to not allow them on the first posts. I think it used to be 10 here, but don't know how things are set up now.

As for "heavy handed" moderation, I don't think that is the case. It is a problem with vBulletin. A few days back there was a post by the forum owner bemoaning the problem. Hopefully it will get better with the next update.

Links present a problem and it is only good practice to not allow them on the first posts. I think it used to be 10 here, but don't know how things are set up now.

As for "heavy handed" moderation, I don't think that is the case. It is a problem with vBulletin. A few days back there was a post by the forum owner bemoaning the problem. Hopefully it will get better with the next update.

Fair enough, apologies if it's the fault of the software.

Hey look, I just made "Member"!

On a related matter, I've noticed that when a moderated comment is approved it appears in the message thread with the date when it was submitted, not approved. Although this makes sense, it does have the unfortunate side-effect that sometimes the approved comment is inserted mid-way in a message thread, e.g. if non-moderated users post comments before the comment is approved. This can cause it to be missed by people who are following a thread (e.g. by using the "New Posts" link).

On a related matter, I've noticed that when a moderated comment is approved it appears in the message thread with the date when it was submitted, not approved. Although this makes sense, it does have the unfortunate side-effect that sometimes the approved comment is inserted mid-way in a message thread, e.g. if non-moderated users post comments before the comment is approved. This can cause it to be missed by people who are following a thread (e.g. by using the "New Posts" link).

Yeah, I noticed this too. This issue gets worse the longer the post is in limbo. I noticed several days with some of my posts. No having a go at the moderators I'm sure they're busy.

On the other hand (I'm a moderator on another tech forum), some spammers will post in excess of 30 posts before they suddenly turn on all the spam. What we (the moderators on that forum) have to do is to notice their general lack of relevant content and tag the user to the 'watched' list. However mosts new posters are not auto-moderated on that forum, unless they contain links. That only works because we are many moderators, covering the forum 24/7.

-Tor

On the other hand (I'm a moderator on another tech forum), some spammers will post in excess of 30 posts before they suddenly turn on all the spam. What we (the moderators on that forum) have to do is to notice their general lack of relevant content and tag the user to the 'watched' list. However mosts new posters are not auto-moderated on that forum, unless they contain links. That only works because we are many moderators, covering the forum 24/7.

-Tor

Spammers are a big problem on forums, so blocking links for new posters is a good idea. I think in 99% of cases though the first couple of posts should determine whether they are a spammer or not. In seven years of running a motorcycle forum in Australia I've never had a spammer that's posted anywhere near 30 posts of legitimate content before turning to spam. In most cases you can tell by their first post.

Oh, I agree on that (about sniffing them out by their first couple of posts). On another forum I moderated in the past (it's not in use anymore) I ruthlessly banned them based on one or two posts, and I'm absolutely certain I never banned anyone mistakingly. Of course I also did some extra checking on IP and other things for some of them. But on this other forum I mentioned the owners will not allow that policy, we cannot ban them unless they actually spam, or are already on the majority of spamwatcher lists.

I feel your pain as I am a new member and have been waiting a couple of days for my posts to show up. However, if that means the forums won't blow up with bot spam then it's a small price to pay. Hopefully I will make member soon as well :)

Back