• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Are there many.... ANY SX-64 owners here?

I have one... upgraded with JiffyDOS and added a 2gb SD2IEC which is powered through the user port and works fantastic.

My absolute favourite 8bit machine... always wanted one ever since I saw one in the window of Dixons as a 12 year old running a copy of Powerdrift :D

My little lad tells his friends at nursery that he plays Mayhem in Monsterland on dads massive big laptop lol!

P7096876.jpg

Last edited:
The video and reference is the Commodore SX-64 30th anniversary party some of us hosted in our local areas back in January 2013. I'd love to get some mods done to mine (it's just plain but working although a bit of a noisy drive). Bo's was awesome with his virtual drive and I think network card installed. He even booted up GEOS at the party to show it off (I don't remember if we took any pictures of the GUI or if they came out or not).

Sometime ago,I picked up 3-SX64s from a local School board sale. After choosing one of the best, I gave one to a friend plus I lent the other just in case he needs parts. That was the last time I saw them. However, he gave me 6-Jason Ranheim cartridges full of utilities (like the multi carts) so I don't feel so bad.
Mine didn't have the keyboard cable, so I hacked a short / flexible Centronics (parallel) printer cable...that worked quite nicely. The unit is currently sitting in the closet.

I bought one back about 6 years ago. It's in exemplary shape, with little to no wear, proper handle, and works perfectly. The manual that came with it had water damage, but was apparently stored away from the computer (thankfully). It took me a few years to find a user manual that was both affordable and in nice shape, but I finally managed that as well.

The SX-64 was a want of mine since high school when I was first introduced to the breadbox C64 (circa 1993/1994 - I was late to the party!)

The video and reference is the Commodore SX-64 30th anniversary party some of us hosted in our local areas back in January 2013.
I think we're talking about two different videos, although they are related: Starbucks commissioned a professional film crew to produce some TV commercials showing the kind of things folks were doing at their local Starbucks and since apparently TPUG had one of the bigger turnouts in North America they asked us a few weeks ago to 'recreate' the anniversary party, also adding some background info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPM9oA72iQw

I cannot get enough of that TPUG vid! ;)

The funny thing is when I search for it in youtube it will not show up for me for some reason? Even when I go directly to StarBucks Coffee account page??

It is brilliant. It is definately done in that "This is Spinal Tap" or "Best in Show" mockumentary style, but its all in good light hearted fun!! I almost expect Eugene Levy or Catherine O'Hara to pop on the screen at any moment!

That rockin out bit with the PET-synth as the camera pans across the table is Epic!! Hahahaha.

Great message of sharing and togetherness at the end.
:)

This is the first time I've seen the TPUG video too. It was hysterical and yet a little scary when I saw some very slight personal parallels :)

Best part for me?... the yell from Impossible Mission. That makes it authentic almost :)

Funniest part?... "How many members are there now?" "Maybe 12 or 15?". Too funny.

Funniest part?... "How many members are there now?" "Maybe 12 or 15?". Too funny.
That's an inadvertent misquote; that's the number of members who generally show up for the meetings, the actual number of members these days is around 60 or so (still a far cry from the 22,000 of 'the good old days')...

Last edited:
That's an inadvertent misquote; that's the number of members who generally show up for the meetings, the actual number of members these days is around 60 or so (still a far cry from the 'good old days')...

For $10 per year, we could quickly and easily double that, at least, if we wanted....

Maybe I can make it 61?

Hahaha.

Im actually north of Tro-noh though. So I would not be a regular visitor at the meetings. Crazy thing... I literally grew up like 5 minutes from where you all meet!

I think Im going to try to make it to W.O.C.

Maybe I can make it 61?

If you make it 61, I'll make it 62.

There's almost no chance of me ever making a meeting. I'm only in Toronto on Sunday nights via BBSN on CFZM. The rest of the time, I'm about an 11 hour drive away!

If you make it 61, I'll make it 62.

There's almost no chance of me ever making a meeting. I'm only in Toronto on Sunday nights via BBSN on CFZM. The rest of the time, I'm about an 11 hour drive away!
The newsletter alone will make it worth your while, and if you do ever make it to the WoC you'll get a discount! How can you resist such a bargain? ;-)

As a matter of fact a contingent from the Chicago area usually comes up for the WoC; they might have room for another fellow enthusiast...

Well, I still had a small leftover Paypal balance so....

I just ENROLLED and sent $10 Cdn. via Paypal to Ernest.
I hope I followed the right procedure.

So are we like a motorcycle club now? When do we get together and crowd frightened pedestrians off the sidewalk with our GIANT Commodore SX-64's ?

;)

Last edited:
Well, I still had a small leftover Paypal balance so....

I just ENROLLED and sent $10 Cdn. via Paypal to Ernest.
I hope I followed the right procedure.

I did the same, but I sent $15USD. Unless something changed recently that should be some slight amount more than $15CDN.. There's a slightly better chance of me finding time to read the newsletter on paper than in an email.

Who wants to be #63? :D

So are we like a motorcycle club now? When do we get together and crowd frightened pedestrians off the sidewalk with our GIANT Commodore SX-64's ?

;)

Something tells me they wouldn't be frightened!

Last edited:
Yeah, those T-Puggers look like a bunch of pushovers!

Hey wait.... I'M a TPUG guy now! lolz

On another note, check out the story state of this thing on Ebay. I don't even think I could call that a fixer-upper.
$300!?? Yikes!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Good-Working-VINTAGE-Commodore-SX-64-Portable-Computer-/261392922284?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item3cdc3b76ac

Yikes!!!

I paid that much for mine in 1986.... And it was darn close to perfect...

MarkO

Back