• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SuperPET with high price and in unknown state!

I'm fast! ;-)
I'll say!

One of the things on my TO-DO list is to re-create the SuperPET board and also incorporated the MMU board into one. I think it could be done in less chips than the original, given advancements in ram/rom densities.
Your TO-DO list ?!?! I envision something like this:

images

thanks for the info. If you can copy the pet files to another disk like any old cbm os disk then I stand corrected. Are the combo boards rare? How many 8032s got the "upgrade"? You also need to fashion a mode switch, right?

Are the combo boards rare? How many 8032s got the "upgrade"? You also need to fashion a mode switch, right?

I don't have an answer but in my travels over the last few days, I found some pictures of an 8032-to-SuperPET upgrade kit. It has the switches.
http://c64.digitalscream.com/pics/superpet.upgrade.kit/

One that sold on eBay recently: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201157854635

Tying back to the original thread topic, I bought my full SuperPET for somewhat less than that kit sold for because of a missing picture. Just a lesson to be learned for sellers. I definitely got lucky on this one.

Did it sell? It just says 'Ended'. For that price, I kind of hope so.

Unfortunately, I just plain don't have the patience for web pages that are 4x the size of my monitor.

It says "Sold" in the little thumbnail. It also shows in the "Sold" listings so I was assuming so. Then again, mine doesn't show up in "Sold" listings so it's anyone guess what they're doing over there.

anyhoo...what might be really cool is to make a high profile b series superpet by using a combo board. ram wiring and roms would need to be customized

I don't have an answer but in my travels over the last few days, I found some pictures of an 8032-to-SuperPET upgrade kit. It has the switches.
http://c64.digitalscream.com/pics/superpet.upgrade.kit/

One that sold on eBay recently: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201157854635

This is the old two board version. I wonder if there was a one board kit as well. I will take a look at mine and see what the switch does (wiring-wise), document it on my site. I always thought even with the newer style board you needed a separate RAM expansion, but I did not look the new single-board version closely enough to notice there was also RAM on there. This was the case where "it worked why open it" and for once I spent more time on programming than repairs.

anyhoo...what might be really cool is to make a high profile b series superpet by using a combo board. ram wiring and roms would need to be customized

Yes, that would be cool. I also though the 8296D would make a cool SuperPET too, with the rounded case and built-in drives. I actually tried fitting a combo board into the 8296D case and it DID fit, but just barely. That's not to say it would actually work with the 8296 motherboard.
http://www.6502.org/users/sjgray/projects/ultrapet/index.html

Steve

Check my post #32 for fast...

The 6809 board only has a basic boot loader in ROM. All of the languages (e.g. APL, BASIC, FORTRAN etc.) are accessed as executable files loaded from the floppy disk (i.e. BASIC is not stored in ROM as it is on the 6502). So without the boot disks - the 6809 part is pretty useless. I suspect the files entitled "APL", "FORTRAN" etc. without any file extensions referred to are the executables 'ripped' from the floppies.

I am quite envious snuci - an excellent purchase and it works to boot (no pun intended)!

Dave

Check my post #32 for fast...
Duh! I was looking for the original files and forgot about the modified versions until Steve posted the link; back when I read your post #32 I wasn't looking, so I, umm, didn't look where it pointed.

And thanks very much for your part in the de-keying; I had actually followed the whole story on CBM-hackers with interest.

I suspect the files entitled "APL", "FORTRAN" etc. without any file extensions referred to are the executables 'ripped' from the floppies.
Double-Duh! Of course they're not going to be .prg files...

Advancing years, senility, etc.; that's my excuse.

I am quite envious snuci - an excellent purchase and it works to boot (no pun intended)!
I'm sure he'll have it going by then, but just in case I'm sure someone can bring him a disk set at the next TPUG meeting or WoC.

I now have a fresh set of Waterloo disks thanks to CMD-Command (see this thread:http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...tility-to-copy-disk-from-device-9-to-device-8 ). When i load a file (let's say BASIC), I see a quick PETSCI character at the right and it bounce about two lines down the screen and then it bounces back to the menu. Has anyone seen this?

I will take the SuperPET apart and reseat all of the chips and cables this weekend but I wonder if I have bad RAM or something. I know this is probably a dumb question but is there any guides to troubleshooting the 6809 board on a SuperPET?

I have my spet set up, yesterday I tested it using 2 drives as unit 8 and 9, loaded waterloo languages, etc. Let me know if you'd like me to reproduce any specific tests.

command ---- result

For the first item, I would try out CMD-Command. It really is a nice disk manager that copies files easily. My 4040 had no issues with this but in CMD-Command, my 4040 was identified as V2. Could that be DOS 2? If you bring up CMD-Command and choose your drive (the "D" command) you will see your drive identified. If you have a 4040 drive, is yours different?

Second, I'm just not sure what's supposed to happen when BASIC loads. I assume I'll see another screen where there's a BASIC editor/environment?

I appreciate you setting up your SuperPET. I am still in awe of mine even if it's a bit temperamental right now.

load basic and it says "...waterloo basic..." more or less and a prompt. at this point you have to methodically document the testing details.

what is the disk directory's output look like? good disk ?

Back