• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Using a sidewinder in dos games with win95?

pcm2a

Experienced Member
I just got in the mail a exp multimedia pcmcia card which has a midi/gameport connector. I fired that bad boy up in a Libretto 50ct with windows 95. I installed the sidewinder software and in windows I can calibrate and see everything working as expected. Obviously the next thing I did was try to use the gamepad with doom and duke3d. Both games recognize the gamepad but it doesn't really work in either.

My assumption here is this is some problem with using a digital gamepad on an old dos game that supports analog gamepads. Is there some additional software I can install that would act as a middle man between the sidewinder and dos to allow it to work with games?

Well, there's not inherently a problem with using digital gamepads for DOS games. I have a Gravis Gamepad and a Gravis Gamepad Pro that both work great with DOS games. There is a problem, however, when a digital controller uses multiplexing to support more than four action buttons, which might be what the Sidewinder is doing. Look through the documentation to see if there's a way to set it to four-button or two-button mode. I know for my Gravis Gamepad Pro, which is a 10-button controller, I have to flip a switch on the bottom to set it to four-button one player or two-button two player mode before it will work with DOS games. The regular Gravis Gamepad is just a 4-button controller anyway, so it works regardless.

Awesome, I'll give that a shot later today. I'm not sure if I'll be able to use the dos driver running in win95 or not.

Back