• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

can you ID this cable?

Could you take a picture with a ruler for scale? Audio cables will be smaller than power cables and I recall examples of both that look very similar to that cable. If there is any brand name or part number on the cable, that would aid in identification. I think there is something stamped on the cable but rotated 90 degrees from the camera.

Could you take a picture with a ruler for scale? Audio cables will be smaller than power cables and I recall examples of both that look very similar to that cable. If there is any brand name or part number on the cable, that would aid in identification. I think there is something stamped on the cable but rotated 90 degrees from the camera.

oh, yeah.. lol ..I told myself I was going to do that when I got home, but I forgot. I guess I'm running on fumes. -- thanks
ID - "el 3768/10"
It is what I was hoping it would be. -- new pic
it's the size of a PC [prePS/2] keyboard connector

Attachments

• CropperCapture[44].jpg
    CropperCapture[44].jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1
They appear to be old style audio/visual hook-ups for a speaker system or an old time reel-to-reel 16mm projector. Not too common these days what with HDMI, etc.

Last edited:
The 3-prong is common for microphone/audio equipment. My guess would be something midi/microphone/audio equipment based.

The one reference I could find for that specific model of cable was to connect an audio tape machine to an amplifier. Might have other audio equipment related uses as well. Not sure what a 150' diode socket is.

The following is taken from a manual for Phillips LBB-1143
For connection to a tape recorder having a 150‘ DIN diode socket, tape recorder accessories cable EL 3768/10 may also be used

...Not sure what a 150' diode socket is.

The following is taken from a manual for Phillips LBB-1143
For connection to a tape recorder having a 150‘ DIN diode socket, tape recorder accessories cable EL 3768/10 may also be used

lol OCR -- pic attached

Attachments

• CropperCapture[46].jpg
    CropperCapture[46].jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 1
The end with the 3 prongs seems to fit the profile of an audio XLR cable, but XLR connectors are generally found in high end professional audio applications and that connector seems to be cheaply made.

Huh...that is an odd one. I'm nearly positive that's not XLR...just doesn't look right. I have this nagging feeling that I've seen a 3-pin DIN somewhere before, but I just can't seem to place it.

Could it be a power cord of some sort?

Wesley

Nope, you're right; it's not an XLR--it's a plain old 3-pin DIN plug.

s3.jpg

I have no idea as to what this cable was used for. Could be an audio connection.

I've seen the three prong connections used in Ektographic projectors as well as the previously mentioned audio equipment.

Back