• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SuperBoard II to build or not to build?

Klyball

Experienced Member
I have a superboard II complete kit , Should I keep it this way or build it, What would you do...

OSIKIT.jpg

If you are interested in actually using vintage a computer, then build it.

If you are interested in displaying a "collector's item," then just display it.

Just my thought...

smp

Photograph the boards carefully, top and bottom, so that the printed circuit boards can be re-fabricated. Its easier if you do that before components are added as their addition hides some traces.

:lightbulb: I second that!

I had one as a kid. Eventually I got the expansion board and the disk drive as you have there. But mine was assembled. I don't recall that they were ever offered in kit form. It may be a real rarity as an unassembled kit. Where did you get it?

Nice kit! I definately agree on the highres scans, plus good planform photos with a ruler in the photo along one edge of the board. Apart from the boards, lay the components per-bag out on a high-contrast surface and photograph. I haven't checked bitsavers but scans of the assembly instructions with manifest list helps, and if there are part numbers underneath the keyboard key assemblies make a note of that too. In short, document the lot :)

Steve.

Thanks to the ideas and advice here and osi web i decided to recreate the boards and keep the original kit untouched.
the only real change made was to make the 600 board use modern key switches

original 600 board
600old.jpg

Replica board
610new.jpg

original 610
610old.jpg

replica 610
600new.jpg

600full.jpg

600key.jpg

tape.jpg