• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

GVP Impact Series II hard disk prep

Arnuph1s

Hello everyone.

I have an Amiga 2000 with the GVP Impact series II card installed and a 1.2 GB HDD installed. For some reason I cannot install WB to it. The prep tools report an error -1 when opening SCSI. The drive is pre-formatted to amiga so when I boot WB from floppy I can see it and copy files to it but cannot prep it to make it a bootable drive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

If memory serves me, preformatting it with anything other than a GVP card won't help you because GVP cards write disk data in a different order than other controllers.

Hello everyone.

I have an Amiga 2000 with the GVP Impact series II card installed and a 1.2 GB HDD installed. For some reason I cannot install WB to it. The prep tools report an error -1 when opening SCSI. The drive is pre-formatted to amiga so when I boot WB from floppy I can see it and copy files to it but cannot prep it to make it a bootable drive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I think you may be right. My problem is, I don't have the software disk. Can anyone help me out? Would also like the CD-Rom driver disk as well and finally.. some ram chips for the GVP so I can get this A2000 fully working. It's a nice one with a 020 accelerator and flicker fixer so it's worth the effort. Has Kickstart 2.0 ROMS by the way.

I think you may be right. My problem is, I don't have the software disk. Can anyone help me out? Would also like the CD-Rom driver disk as well and finally.. some ram chips for the GVP so I can get this A2000 fully working. It's a nice one with a 020 accelerator and flicker fixer so it's worth the effort. Has Kickstart 2.0 ROMS by the way.

Can you even run a CD-ROM drive on KS2.0 ROMs? I didn't think there was support until 3.0. Don't quote me on that, maybe someone else can verify it.

As for the formatting, I'm in the same boat, and I'm working on a solution. I've got an A2000 with a G-Force 030 combo. I'm running OS3.9, and for some reason the CD-ROM is flaky as heck. I'm told that I need a newer version of the gvpscsi.device, which you can still download from GVP's website. Since I've got no networking in my A2000, I have to put the files on a PC disk in a disk image format and then make into a real disk on the Amiga. Funny thing is that I don't own a PC with a floppy drive in it anymore. So I got my hands on a floppy drive which I'm going to install soon, so I can do all this. I'll let you know how that goes!

Oh, and if your accelerator takes those custom 64-pin GVP SIMMs, good luck! Those seem to be as rare as hens teeth these days. I have one 4MB SIMM brand new in the box, which you can have for.......ONE MILLION DOLLARS! Seriously though, you have to put a search out on Ebay to find that RAM and see what you can find.

Yes you can run a CD-Rom with 2.0. I am keeping the machine at that revision as it is going to be used for good old gaming like Gold Box AD&D etc.

The ram I seek is for the GVP SCSI card. The accelerator already has some.

Let me know how that disk image thing goes. I have a PC with a floppy drive but you need CrossDos I think on the Amiga to read a 720k PC Floppy. I don't have that.. so I am stuck I think unless there is another way to write the file in the PC and use it on the amiga.

Good luck with your attempt and let me know how it goes! Likewise if I score a working disk I will clone one and send it your way.

Yes you can run a CD-Rom with 2.0. I am keeping the machine at that revision as it is going to be used for good old gaming like Gold Box AD&D etc.

The ram I seek is for the GVP SCSI card. The accelerator already has some.

Let me know how that disk image thing goes. I have a PC with a floppy drive but you need CrossDos I think on the Amiga to read a 720k PC Floppy. I don't have that.. so I am stuck I think unless there is another way to write the file in the PC and use it on the amiga.

Good luck with your attempt and let me know how it goes! Likewise if I score a working disk I will clone one and send it your way.

It sounds like you must have an A2008 SCSI card. I had assumed you had a GVP accelerator with SCSI on board. The GVP website should have what you need at http://www.gvp-m.com/updatejapan.html but you're right...you need CrossDOS to transfer from a PC. I'm on 3.x, which has it included.

I downloaded dms111.run (which is the archive program that makes disks from .DMS files) and the GForce030 disk image onto a DD PC Floppy and then read it on the Amiga. Then I used DMS to make a real disk, and the first time it failed with a CRC error when making the disk. Then I tried again with a new download and a new disk, and it was successful. So it IS possible, but you are probably going to have to find yourself a copy of CrossDOS.

GVP uses Rigid Disk Block formatting, so there is nothing special about it. Does the card have a Guru ROM installed on it? If so, you have to point disk prep tools like HDToolBox to omniscsi.device instead of gvpscsi.device.

-Click ONCE on the HDToolbox icon to select it.
-Now right click and select Information from the Icon menu. This should bring up a new window.
-In this new window, in the tooltypes section it should have a line saying: SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=scsi.device
-Change this to: SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=gvpscsi.device (original ROM) OR omniscsi.device (Guru ROM), make sure you press return after entering the name
-Now close the window by clicking OK
-Double click the HDToolbox icon.

Thank you njroadfan, I was able to partition the drive and make it bootable. I still had to manually copy WB to it since the installer would not work. System boots but I cannot format the second partition. It comes up as 'Work:Copy' if I try and I cannot do anything with it. Any suggestions?

Does anyone have CrossDOS and the CD-Rom driver on a floppy they could copy for me?

Thanks in advance.

If you have Workbench 2.1, it came with a basic version of CrossDOS. I can confirm its present in WB3.0 as well.

If you have Workbench 2.1, it came with a basic version of CrossDOS. I can confirm its present in WB3.0 as well.
I will check for it on the WB disks
Still not sure what is causing the problem with the second partition however.

SUCCESS!!

I had a rummage in my disk box that was in storage and lo and behold I had a copy of ASIMCDFS amongst all the other hundreds of disks I had 'held onto' over the years.. I installed the CD-Rom. Then I downloaded the GVP software for the card burnt it to a CD and using DMS wrote a copy to floppy and then booted from that and set up the GVP board with Faast Prep. It partitioned both drives, copied the WB disks and the beauty boots like a charm! Both partitions working.

Back