• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I finally gave in and joined!

FoothillsGeek

Experienced Member
Alright, so I haven't actually joined a forum in several years. But I'm interested in meeting people and utilizing all the resources in this hobby I can find.

Anyways, I've been building up a small collecting of vintage computer equipment over the last decade or so. However, it wasn't until recently that I started to get more serious about it as a hobby and maybe more.

I love big iron (the bigger the better) and Unix systems. At the top of my wanted list are the AT&T 7300 Unix PC, IBM 360 or 370 (I know, I know, I'm dreaming here), and a DIGITAL PDP-whatever or similar minicomputer.

My collection varies quite a bit. I have about a dozen vintage machines in working condition. Among them are a TRS-80 Model 1, IBM 5150, two Apple IIe's, and my favorite item, a 1973 NCR terminal. I may share those along with any others in my collection if people are interested. However, I'm sure most of you are familiar, or have at least seen, most of the machines I have (as they are typical and common).

I live in western North Carolina. Some colleagues and I established a local collector group that folded into a subsidiary of a local community workshop, which allows us to claim 501(c)(3) nonprofit. You can find us on Facebook (http://facebook.com/savethemachine) or at our website (http://savethemachine.org).

By day I'm locked inside of the internet itself (data center for an internet company) and by night I'm typically doing stuff to my house or some other boring activity. I'm just getting into retr0brighting, so that's been occupying a little of my time as well.

Anyways, that's me. Feel free to PM me. Thanks!

Welcome. There's a good bunch of helpful folk here. It's always nice to see new members and the machines they have.

Another North Carolinian! It's great to see more people in NC signing up to the forums. I sometimes feel quite lonely on them as there aren't many of us on them. :)

Welcome!

Heather

What took you so long??? Typing from friendly Plattsmouth, Nebraska in a nice small plains town where I can do my "computer thing" without interference. I'm glad you're here and I'll be here to help.

Welcome! Great to see more local collector groups pop up so kudos to that. Definitely feel free to share, regardless of everyone knowing about a system sometimes it's those little fix-it/informational posts that someone is searching for that ends up being a life saver.

Nice to see you in this Forum, I also was looking at your site on Facebook very interesting. Bootable version's of IBM compatible Disk Operation Systems I found with Google in the web free for download. 5.25" Diskettes I'm searching myself.
In the Moment I have two machines running, a Plantron 286 of 1986 and an early Pentium. see attached photos.
I wish you good success in this Forum.
BRG JoachimIMG_1316.jpgIMG_1322.jpgIMG_1332a (1).jpg

Thanks everybody!

EvanK, if I'm ever near NJ, I'll definitely be stopping by! And if you guys are ever offered any donations from the southeast, give us a call =)

Between the Rhode Island group, MARCH, the Atlanta group, and now your group, I'd say we all have the east coast covered!

Foothills -- the best time to visit us would be for the Vintage Computer Festival East this spring.

Back