• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Repairing a beautiful 4032, spooky symptoms, any ideas?

fantomas

Hi guys,

I'm trying to repair a beautiful 32k 4032 and have a really really strange problem. I have a "spare 4032" which I used to check some parts (by exchanging them with the working 4032), so I can say that

* All ROMs are ok
* Both 6520 are ok
* 6522 is ok
* 6502 is ok
* CPU CLK is ok (checked with an scope)

Symptoms:

* After power up screen is garbled and turns black after a couple of seconds
* I changed 4x 4116 RAMs until now (sockets J2, I2, J3, I3)
* Before changing the 4x 4116 the screen sometimes showed "counting characters" or single, static characters instead of the black screen

But now comes the spooky part:

When I see the black screen and I switch the PET off, I sometimes see the start screen characters (### Commodore Basic ....###) for a glimpse of a second on the screen before it vanishes.

What could cause this kind of symptoms? Does switching off the machine "release" a kind of IRQ? Strange ...

Any ideas?
Kind regards,
Ingo

* I changed 4x 4116 RAMs until now (sockets J2, I2, J3, I3)
* Before changing the 4x 4116 the screen sometimes showed "counting characters" or single, static characters instead of the black screen

So you have a 9" CRT 4000 PET that does not have a 6545 CRT Controller as the RAM are in the J and I positions?

You must start with the 8 lower 16K X 1 bit RAM chips as bad zero page will not allow the PET to boot. They are I2 thru I9. Forget about the upper RAM for now (J2 - J9). Piggy back a good 4116 on the I chips one at a time and power on computer. If something different happens, that may be the bad chip. To avoid so many power cycles, you may want to hook up a switch to the RESET line. It can be found on the expansion connector at J4-22. A ground pin will be on the adjacent row.

Try powering it up without the 6520s. It does sound like a stuck IRQ or reset. Of course, you can check both of those signals with your oscilloscope first, too.

I'd definitely check out the "stuck reset" idea. The basket case 4032 I was repairing some years ago had that issue; solved it by replacing the capacitors in the 555 timer section.

Thanks for your answers so far, I was on a business trip last week so could not continue working on the PET.

I tested booting without the 6520s, also changed them with my spare 4032, it did not change the boot behaviour.

Yes, the RAMs in both of my PETs are in the J and I positions. Thanks for the hint about the replacement order for the RAMs, I will continue changing the I-row.

Another possible hint:

Directly after booting into the black screen I have no signal on CAS0 which I traced back to the 74LS244 in B3. Does this make any sense? Should I try to replace it or is this the symptom and not the cause?

Thanks for all your help,
Ingo

Good news!

I replaced the RAMs in the I-row as dave_m suggested. After replacing the 4116 chip in I4 the PET came to life :)

Thanks for all your help, it feels so great to see it up and running again.
Ingo

2015-02-01 22.41.41.jpg2015-02-01 22.41.06.jpg

Back