• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What does Steam actually do?

Grandcheapskate

Veteran Member
Can someone tell me what Steam actually does to activate a game?

I know there are pros and cons to using the Steam service, but please assume I do not want to use Steam.

I have a few games which require Steam to activate - I bought these by mistake having not noticed the Steam requirement. My game machine(s) will not be connected to the internet so the games are useless unless I find a work-around. So I was thinking...

Assume I install a game requiring Steam activation onto a internet free game machine. I then copy the software over to another machine which is connected to the internet. Can I activate the game via Steam on that machine and if so, are there simply files I need to copy back to the game machine in order to activate it? Or is more complicated than that?

Thanks...Joe

Steam can run in Offline mode, but it'll want to associate the game with your account for verification to activate. Copying files likely wont work. AFAIK Steam doesn't modify the game, but rather talks to it and says 'yeah this guy has a license, go for it'. But I could be wrong for old games.

If you're really serious about keeping the machine(s) off the internet forever, you may want to consider just playing cracked/pirated versions of the games you own. It's a bit like SimCity on my XT's, I have the original box and the little copy-protection black on red code sheet but I find it annoying - so I play the cracked version.

Just keep those virus checkers/anti-malware handy.

Last edited:
You must have Steam installed and run the game through the Steam client for any game with Steamworks. You also have to activate the game online once. Games can be run in offline mode, but some of them have other always-on DRM that prevent you from playing the game if you're not connected to the internet.

You must have Steam installed and run the game through the Steam client for any game with Steamworks. You also have to activate the game online once. Games can be run in offline mode, but some of them have other always-on DRM that prevent you from playing the game if you're not connected to the internet.

Assuming the game has no DRM mechanism other than Steam activation, are you saying that even after the game is activated (once), the machine must be connected to the internet even in offline mode or the game won't run?

And if you don't need to always be connected, then Steam must do something during activation to allow the game to run without needing to connect back to Steam.

Thanks...Joe

Steamworks games can be run offline, but they can't be run without the Steam client running in offline mode. If you try running them by themselves, you'll just get an error message.

Here is the skinny, some games will run in steam or out of it. I can run half-life 2 without steam, though downloading it FROM steam. Rise of the triad 2013 won't, but ROTT '95 will.

goto your c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common

you should see a list of games, some gales folders will be pretty self explanatory, but others rely on steam outright to run.

Old games and some indie games run without the Steam client, but the boxed games that require you to install Steam undoubtedly use Steamworks DRM, which do require the client. It would help if we knew what games you're talking about.

As someone who has pirated software, I can say that Steam's DRM does little more than look your account up on its servers, if you "own" the game it lets what you have run.

I see you having two options. Either pirate the games you want to run w/o steam, or connect that computer to steam and deal with it.

Personally, #2 seems to be the only REAL option. I use my steam account over 3 computers, and it really has saved me a lot of frustration when it comes to settings and save-games, as you can choose to have these saved to steam. (only some games)

I can play CIV 5 on my desktop, save to steam, continue playing on my laptop, then back again. I've even used my phone for steam to "dial home".

Well, I didn't know much about what Steam was, at least now I know that if I ever want a game on a computer it shall not be a Steam one! You learn something every day.. :)

-Tor

The only cool feature with Steam is you can have that license for that game installed on multiple computers. You're only licensed to play it on one system at a time (so it's not just a free lan party) but that's sorta cool if the vendor didn't allow that otherwise. Not that it stops many folks from installing it like that otherwise.

Good old Games gog.com I still haven't ever purchased anything from but they're legit with happy customers IF you're in to that downloading software as your hard copy theory. But they're DRM free and won't require an online connection. Legit way to get some obsolete games.

I've said it before and maybe this should be over in rants, but since I'm already here; I'm not about to pay $60 for a game, only to have to jump through a bunch of hoops and seek permission from some third party service vendor to use what I just paid for. Sooner or later people will get feed-up with the process and the economics of the day will kick-in. Gog.com is a great start.

I've said it before and maybe this should be over in rants, but since I'm already here; I'm not about to pay $60 for a game, only to have to jump through a bunch of hoops and seek permission from some third party service vendor to use what I just paid for. Sooner or later people will get feed-up with the process and the economics of the day will kick-in. Gog.com is a great start.

Oh get over it. DRM has been around in some form from DAY ONE, its not going away either. With 20 years of computer use I can safely say that Steam is pretty awesome and practically non-existent compared to other types of DRM.

DITTO -- I won't buy that crap either. If it's got strings attached let the others buy it. I won't beg to use something I paid for. :)

I use Steam to play Age of Empires II HD (& the Forgotten Empires expansion) a few times a week and it is great. I do not see the issue with DRM either.

Oh get over it. DRM has been around in some form from DAY ONE, its not going away either. With 20 years of computer use I can safely say that Steam is pretty awesome and practically non-existent compared to other types of DRM.

Hey Bob, you think that way because you are now 'conditioned'. Just curious, what is so 'awesome' about Steam in your mind? Also, won't be getting over it anytime soon.

Hey Bob, you think that way because you are now 'conditioned'. Just curious, what is so 'awesome' about Steam in your mind? Also, won't be getting over it anytime soon.

I think the word conditioned is a bit dramatic. Anyway, I believe I explained earlier about its cloud storage of saved games, and how its practically invisible. I didn't mention the seasonal sales. Nor the fact it keeps all your games automatically up to date. Is it flawless? No.

It's amusing to watch old people complain about change.

That it is.

I don't see online activation being any worse than having to insert a DVD, dig out a code sheet, find an original floppy etc etc - it's actually more convenient.
So what do we do when we can't get around it?

Same thing you'd do in 1983.
Get a cracked version.

Only thing that gets my panties in a twist is "single player always-online" and a $60 price tag.

Back