• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple IIc Color Adjustment? Tint is way off...

Jibbajaba

Experienced Member
Hey guys,

I just got an Apple IIc, and the colors that it's outputting are way off. The tint on the TV has to be adjusted way off-center for it to look decent (same issue on multiple displays, so it isn't my monitor). I am just using the normal composite video out jack (no RF module or anything).

Are there any internal adjustments for this? If not, could it be a failing capacitor or something? What else could it be? I've looked around on Google and can't find anything at all...

Thanks!

Chris

Are you talking about an IIc or an IIc Plus? The picture in your link shows the mainboard of the IIc Plus. The IIc doesn't give color over the composite video out at all. It's b/w only. For color, you need a special RGB cable or the RF modulator.

Are you talking about an IIc or an IIc Plus? The picture in your link shows the mainboard of the IIc Plus. The IIc doesn't give color over the composite video out at all. It's b/w only. For color, you need a special RGB cable or the RF modulator.

The American NTSC version does provide color composite video. Since you're in Germany, you're probably using the European PAL version. I know the PAL IIe does not provide color video unless you install a special card, so probably the PAL IIc's composite video output is B&W as well.

This is the ROM 04 IIc (not IIc Plus) motherboard, and it does also have a hue adjustment:

http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/Apple ...otos/Apple IIc ROM 04 - Motherboard Front.jpg

The hue adjustment pot solved the problem. The deal that you actually rotate was all busted up (someone else was obviously in there futzing with it at some point in the past) and I had to turn it fully in the opposite direction but now the colors look good.

The American NTSC version does provide color composite video. Since you're in Germany, you're probably using the European PAL version. I know the PAL IIe does not provide color video unless you install a special card, so probably the PAL IIc's composite video output is B&W as well.
According to Wikipedia, the IIc always outputs NTSC, even those sold in PAL region. To get PAL video, you had to buy an RGB port modulator, which existed in different versions (the best one supporting color and providing both composite and RF output). These modulators sell for lots of money here, as they are very sought-after.

I never checked if my German IIc gives NTSC or PAL video, as all the monitors I use support both norms anyway. But if I can get color out of the box from an American NTSC version, my IIc may get replaced soon. ;)

Back