• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Finally....the IBM PS/2 Model 95

when I said the 9595 PSUs with the TAICONS are a problem with messy voltage output, I wasn't kidding. You CANNOT run power supplies with low quality electrolytics!
You have nothing to back up that statement other than it's a brand that was shady at one time or another. Over the expanse of the internet and 20 years of history for the series there are no forum posts or notices indicating that the power supplies in the model 95 have been dropping like flies or are otherwise known for problems regarding the PSU. If this was in fact what happened to me I would be seeing a long trail of posts from random people discussing problems.

That being said, there is thankfully a small amount of technical information for the PSU including the critical pinout for the planar connector. For the moment my suspicion is that the "tink" was something like a FET splitting and the safety circuit kicked in before anything blew up. We'll find out eventually. I'll take this time work work on another project

Last edited:
I'm still fighting the power supply. Servicing power supplies is my weak point. I'm not replacing it because well yeah, that's going to be a lifetime of searching.

I was just about ready to make a video on the machine when it broke down. The IrisVision drivers had been loaded and installing the IrisGL demos was coming up on the list of things to do. It would of been the first time anyone had seen some of these demos working on something other than an SGI.

Back