• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Shack's end looking nigher than usual

I stopped by our closest Radio Shack yesterday to find it completely gone. The store was empty, even the retail fixtures were gone, and the walls had been recently repainted. It was open in December so this store must have not only closed but completely liquidated long before the bankruptcy announcement. They probably sent the merchandise to other locations.

Meant to say that also. One store near me "everything is 30% - 70% off". Some stuff was a good deal, ended up picking up one of the stupid quickheat soldering things for $11 instead of $30. However their Makerkit Pi which is two versions old after 50% off was still $65 (50% off of 129.99) so that puts it right at the same cost as online which wasn't really worth it.

But yeah some sensors and other arduino gear may be worth the time.

I was in my nearest Radio Shack yesterday, which had the going out of business, 30-70% off signs. While I was looking around for the best deals, the UPS guy came in to deliver a box. The box was about the size of a USPS Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box, the dimensions of which are 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2". The store clerk signed for it, opened it up, remove the paper filler and guess what was inside . . . one Europe to U.S. AC plug adapter in its blister pack. One of these : http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-europe-to-u.s.-plug-adapter/2730940.html#start=4 None of us could believe that the warehouse would go to all that trouble just to ship one item that would fit inside a bubble mailer or a box that could easily fit 20 of these items. If that is not the a prime example of a badly run company that deserves to go out of business, I don't know what is.

While I was looking around for the best deals, the UPS guy came in to deliver a box. The box was about the size of a USPS Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box, the dimensions of which are 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2". The store clerk signed for it, opened it up, remove the paper filler and guess what was inside . . . one Europe to U.S. AC plug adapter in its blister pack. One of these : http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-europe-to-u.s.-plug-adapter/2730940.html#start=4 None of us could believe that the warehouse would go to all that trouble just to ship one item that would fit inside a bubble mailer or a box that could easily fit 20 of these items. If that is not the a prime example of a badly run company that deserves to go out of business, I don't know what is.

As long as it was not actually Flat Rate, then shipping a light box doesn't cost that much more than a padded envelope -- often it's even the same price. I know Amazon.com never ships anything in an envelope (at least in my experience). Even if you just buy one CD or one book, they'll ship it in a box.

As long as it was not actually Flat Rate, then shipping a light box doesn't cost that much more than a padded envelope -- often it's even the same price. I know Amazon.com never ships anything in an envelope (at least in my experience). Even if you just buy one CD or one book, they'll ship it in a box.

And with boxes, at least you can reuse them easily and recycle them when they eventually weaken too much. Envelopes typically aren't reusable and may or may not be recyclable (depending on what they're made of and what's accepted where the addressee is).

I've had a few things come from Amazon in envelopes, but they've usually been small, flat things like blister packs (memory, small USB devices, etc) or software DVDs.

One of my co-workers and I went to a nearby RS store at lunch that was in their last-few-days 90%+ discount phase. I plundered the parts drawers! $60 and a 12+ foot receipt, for which the clerk offered me a separate bag to hold! Unfortunately there was already a waiting list for fixtures. How cool would it have been for my junk box to be actual Radio Shack parts drawers?

IMG_1591.jpg

Now THAT receipt is worth taking a picture of! That was well worth the effort, and thanks for the pic!

One of the local stores just closed over the weekend, and I missed the last days bash. The one closest to me has been at 50% off (components/hobby stuff) since the signs went up, which explains my $60 only getting me about 4-feet of receipt. There were a bunch of components already on clearance ($0.97 average) before the bankruptcy, so at less than 50-cents each on random parts, I had a good time shopping. The parts drawers here were listed at $175 each with no takers as of yesterday...wonder how long they'll be there?

I am wondering if the remaining managers/employees are all kept in the dark through all this? The guys at the store here said they thought they would be open 4 more weeks, but were shocked when another customer filled them in on the store across town already being closed. The manager claimed corporate wasn't saying anything about closing dates to them.

I sure do miss the old days - the Shack was my hangout as a kid in the late 70's - 80's and fueled my hobbies, which became my career. Sad.

-Rich

I think I'll keep that receipt, for sure! Hmm, I should also drop by the RS near my home again this weekend, and see if the parts drawers are claimed yet. I was there a week or two ago, and they were liquidating without any discounts at the time. I don't know if they're still open.

The RS that is closing in Round Rock, TX is officially empty, just some wall shelving (looked just like wire hanging stuff) left.
I only looked while driving slowly by but looks like Buda, TX store is also only left with shelving and no electronics.

Last edited:
Back