• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Now available on eBay IBM System/32, NCR Decision Mate, Victor 9000, Osborne 1 & more

returnofthelivingtech

Experienced Member
Now available on eBay IBM System/32, NCR Decision Mate, Victor 9000, Osborne 1 & more

San Francisco Bay Area local pick up only. All of these items were donated for recycling in the Bay Area and they will stay in the Bay Area. I have had too many bad experiences shipping vintage equipment.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/returnofthelivingtech/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

We are one of the oldest ewaste collectors in the region. The founder of the organization collected five pallets of vintage equipment. He is long gone. And now the time has come to get this stuff to people that know what to do with it, or recycle it.

We are making this available on eBay now because it is one way to get the word out. And because it handles all those things like sales taxes that we have to deal with.

We are open to dealing directly once we get to know you, and what interests you. If you want to PM me with your offers on the items listed they will be considered if the item doesn't sell on eBay. If there is something in particular that you are interested in let me know. We are only on the first pallet. And there is still more that has not been listed because I have not seen it yet.

Here is the website http://www.ewastecollective.org/wordpress/ But please contact me through PM only until we get to know each other. I will only be working on this project during business hours. And I do have other irons in the fire. So please be patient if you do not hear from me right away.

We also have odds and ends like telephone test equipment, commodore and atari game stuff, miscellaneous external drives, old dictaphone type stuff, and stuff I could not find on Google like the picture you see attached. IMG_3542.jpg

The system/32 lot sold at the last minute. The rest will be re-listed for thirty days at a buy-it-now-price. And you will be able to send offers.

Or, it you would rather drop in with a wad of cash in hand, you can call 415.883.1428 and ask for Scott. I am generally here 10-6 MTWF. On Thursdays I work with our volunteers, so it is not a good day for dickering.

I have a separate thread on this IBM 2040 awaiting approval:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-2040-Op...AY-Area-/291384749564?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Some guy from Australia said he would give me a 1000 bucks for it, but you hear all kinds of things from buyers on ebay. ;) This is another local pickup only sale.

The Apple cube should show up on eBay Sunday morning. The cube is in very nice condition. The speaker cones are a little worn.

We are not getting much interest in the NCR, Osborne, etc. So they will likely go for California CRT scrap value. Maybe that will be good for the value of your collections. :cool:

If anyone wants to get in touch and make an offer you can find the phone number in the link in the OP. If you call, ask for Scott.

the NCR made be of interest. But I'm not in California, would need to find someone to do me the favor (or you could opt to bring it to a UPS and they can send it). But a non working one w/no keyboard is hardly worth 80$ even before shipment is figured in.

the NCR made be of interest. But I'm not in California, would need to find someone to do me the favor (or you could opt to bring it to a UPS and they can send it). But a non working one w/no keyboard is hardly worth 80$ even before shipment is figured in.

If you were local you could get it for a lot less once the sale ends. ;) Because we really don't want to scrap it. On the other hand, it's a business, and we really don't want to fiddle with the shipping.

well my advice is two-fold:

1) fire your research dep't LOL. It's a PC4 (or PC4i), not a Decision Mate.

2) try to determine if it has a green or multi-color crt screen. I already have a mono green unit, used to have 3. If it's color it's a whole lot more collectible then a green one. But in any event putting it on craigslist might get you some money. Looks like I won't be able to take advantage of the sale. It lacks the keyboard unfortunately, though it will use a standard IBM PC 5150 k/b or equivalent.

Some guy from Australia said he would give me a 1000 bucks for it, but you hear all kinds of things from buyers on ebay. ;) This is another local pickup only sale.

I'm the guy who said I'd give you a thousand bucks for it.
I meant what I said, but your insulated naure of not wanting to sell to anyone that did not show up personally (WITH ID) and your aversion to the international vintage computer enthusiasts community where ironically you are now advertising meant you did not get your thousand bucks after all, which I gladly would have paid you (and was prepared to bid considerably more) if you hadn't cancelled my bid even though I am a perfect feedback buyer. You got less than eight hundred.
You didn't even bother to edit off the other instructions for the auction, which indicated shipping options.
So, too bad. For both me and you.
I would also like to state for record, my exact comment to the seller regarding the above statement (sent only after my bid was cancelled) was "Had you put a BIN of $1000 on it you would have had that PayPal money from me in minutes.". Nothing more.

Steve.
Brisbane, Australia.

Last edited:
I'm actually in California (Fairfield\Napa area) and I'd get some stuff however our car's IACV decided to eat a motor and take out the ECU with it. $240 in parts after market, nearly $1000 from Nissan. Yay.

If you guys could possibly hold onto the Portable III for a month I'd be interested in that, however I can't make any promises we'll have a properly running car by then.

well my advice is two-fold:

1) fire your research dep't LOL. It's a PC4 (or PC4i), not a Decision Mate.

2) try to determine if it has a green or multi-color crt screen. I already have a mono green unit, used to have 3. If it's color it's a whole lot more collectible then a green one. But in any event putting it on craigslist might get you some money. Looks like I won't be able to take advantage of the sale. It lacks the keyboard unfortunately, though it will use a standard IBM PC 5150 k/b or equivalent.

1) No wonder we didn't get any bids! ;)

I couldn't find a lot of good images or detail in the time I can put into something like this. But if you have any suggestions on good reference sites I am all ears.

2) I would like to know how to do that without being able to power it up.

I'm actually in California (Fairfield\Napa area) and I'd get some stuff however our car's IACV decided to eat a motor and take out the ECU with it. $240 in parts after market, nearly $1000 from Nissan. Yay.

If you guys could possibly hold onto the Portable III for a month I'd be interested in that, however I can't make any promises we'll have a properly running car by then.

I can set it aside for a while. We are across 37 in Novato. I've got another vintage Compaq that our research department has not quite figured out how to open. :D

there was a thread (that I started) w/tips on how to identify (hopefully) a multi-color rgb tube as opposed to a mono green/amber. Just shine a flashlight on it in a dark room, and if it reflects a greenish glow, it's green. If it's color, umm, not sure. You could open it up, which isn't too bad IIRC, a few screws and the casing should slide off, or the chassis pulls out. Take phootos of the stickers on the tube or whatever.
A unit w/an RGB (multi-color) tube will be significantly heavier then one w/a mono tube.

W/no keyboard (although a standard IBM 5150 or XT-clone keyboard will work), and you're unwillingness to power it up won't get you big buckeroos even if it is color. I might be inclined to pay 50$ if I were in your neighborhood. But who knows it's California and everything is expensive.

there was a thread (that I started) w/tips on how to identify (hopefully) a multi-color rgb tube as opposed to a mono green/amber. Just shine a flashlight on it in a dark room, and if it reflects a greenish glow, it's green. If it's color, umm, not sure. You could open it up, which isn't too bad IIRC, a few screws and the casing should slide off, or the chassis pulls out. Take phootos of the stickers on the tube or whatever.
A unit w/an RGB (multi-color) tube will be significantly heavier then one w/a mono tube.

W/no keyboard (although a standard IBM 5150 or XT-clone keyboard will work), and you're unwillingness to power it up won't get you big buckeroos even if it is color. I might be inclined to pay 50$ if I were in your neighborhood. But who knows it's California and everything is expensive.

Great tips. Thank you. I will try the flashlight trick and/or crack it open and see what I find.

IIRC, I did try to fire it up. But I will check the listing.

There is always a no ebay, no craig's list discount for stuff like this if you can get somebody to drive over and pick it up for you. But shipping this stuff in a professional manner is just a pain in the . . . neck. So it is hard to justify the time to the business side.

I'll let it sit around for a while and see what happens. If you can work something out send me a PM with your offer. But sooner or later it will have to go for CRT waste. It does not pay to get sentimental in the ewaste collection business or you are up to your armpits in junk before you know it.

A number of items are going to have to go away soon so we can get started on the next pallet. So, if you are in the neighborhood, give us a call and make an offer. Otherwise the next stop is recycleville.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compaq-Port...Up-Only-/291367194986?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NCR-Decisio...Up-Only-/301508059295?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Osborne-1-M...Up-Only-/291367202246?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Here are some pictures of the innards of the NCR. The flashlight test seems to indicate a green screen, but you can check the model number for yourself.

IMG_4679.jpgIMG_4680.jpgIMG_4681.jpgIMG_4682.jpg

Back