• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Does a Tandy 1000 EX Support Standard MS-Dos Disks?

Hi,

I recently purchased a Tandy 1000 EX machine off of ebay, only to find out that it doesn't have any system Disks. Am I able to use Standard ( Not Tandy only ) MS- DOS 2.0 Disks in it? They were originally used for IBM PCs!

Thanks,

Eric

The 1000 TX came with a set of modified MS-DOS 2.11 disks. You can use any MS-DOS version you want but avoid any over 3.2 unless you want the dos in rom overwritten. Yes, dos in ROM!

Any Tandy 1000 model will boot and run a generic copy of MS-DOS, or even IBM PC DOS (aside from BASIC/BASICA which obviously won't run on any non-IBM machine).

The 1000EX does not have DOS in ROM. The Tandy 1000 models with DOS in ROM are the 1000HX and the RL/SL/TL series.

The 1000 TX came with a set of modified MS-DOS 2.11 disks. You can use any MS-DOS version you want but avoid any over 3.2 unless you want the dos in rom overwritten. Yes, dos in ROM!

Rick meant the EX.

Any Tandy 1000 model will boot and run a generic copy of MS-DOS, or even IBM PC DOS (aside from BASIC/BASICA which obviously won't run on any non-IBM machine).

The 1000EX does not have DOS in ROM. The Tandy 1000 models with DOS in ROM are the 1000HX and the RL/SL/TL series.

If he wants the BASIC with the proper support for Tandy graphics and sound, he should use Tandy DOS disks. Also, the MODE command on the Tandy DOS disks has Tandy-specific options like FAST and SLOW (for changing the processor speed) and 200 (for 200 line text modes)

If he wants the BASIC with the proper support for Tandy graphics and sound, he should use Tandy DOS disks. Also, the MODE command on the Tandy DOS disks has Tandy-specific options like FAST and SLOW (for changing the processor speed) and 200 (for 200 line text modes)

Also MODE LFOFF to correct the double-spacing problem that the older 1000s had when printing on non-Tandy printers, and MODE FAST and MODE SLOW to switch the processor speed (on all except the original 4.77 MHz 1000).

And I believe MODE TV will put you into 200-line, 40-column color composite mode.

Back