• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Scored a 9114 for my HP Portable Plus

smp

Veteran Member
Hello all,

I recently scored a 9114 3.5 inch disk drive to go along with my HP 110 Plus:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141597084723?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

From my previous thread:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...9-HP-Portable-Plus&highlight=HP+Portable+Plus

a number of good folks here helped me to get software onto my system from a remote terminal, but ultimately I felt I need some reasonable attached storage in order to be able to move software onto and off of the machine more easily than using Kermit all the time.

If you check out the eBay listing, you will see that (as usual) the Seller was looking for an outrageous amount of money for this unit. I made what I thought was a reasonable offer, and after a bit the Seller accepted. So in the end, I still paid a substantial amount for it, but it is tested and known to be working and the Seller seems to be a reputable one. Somehow, these things seem to be in the hands of a very few people who place a very high value on them. After looking at them off and on for a couple of years (I have a variety of HP calculators and computers with HP-IL interface) I finally decided to go for it. This way, at least I have one to play with rather than continue to dream about it.

So, hopefully sometime next week I will have a new adventure on my hands. Does anyone have any experience with HP-IL devices? Anything that I should watch out for or be aware of? I am aware of a number of HP information sites out there, but any additional pointers would be appreciated.

This disk drive will help me to be much more flexible in trying new things with my Portable Plus. I'm looking forward to this new adventure!

smp

Last edited:
Status update:

The 9114 unit arrived today. It is in PRISTINE condition and is operating flawlessly! I am thrilled.

Just so you all know:
jones.sebago.lake is an excellent Seller on eBay, and I highly recommend him. He seems to have a good stash of HP computer and calculator items available.

Thanks for listening.

smp

I used to have an HP 75D with the built in HP-IL interface and also had an HP 82169A HP-IL to HP-IB Interface and an HP 82164A HP-IL to RS-232 Interface. I think I also had an HP 82162A HP-IL Printer as well. I never really had any interesting uses for that gear and ended up selling it all on eBay a few years back. HP-IL gear seems to still go for a premium on eBay.

The HP 9114 sounds like a useful device to have if you have other HP-IL gear. If you're into vintage test equipment I think the HP 1630 and 1631 logic analyzers could make use of HP-IL storage devices. I have one cassette tape with some HP 1630/1631 configuration files that I think would have been used with an HP 82161A Tape Drive. I doubt I will ever pick up one of those tape drives to be able to read and archive whatever information is on that tape I have.

Back