• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help with 11/05 top and bottom covers.

MattisLind

Veteran Member
Last year I managed to get a 11/05 in the 10.5 inch high config. The print set lists the chassis as a BA11-D. It is also used in the 11/35. The problem is that this machine is more or less a number or spare parts bolted loosely together. The top and bottom covers are gone. The fans are missing. The H400 power inlet are missing. The PSU is lose and the screws are gone... One of the CPU boards is marked as faulty. The cable to the front panel is slightly damaged. The aluminium sticker with the DEC logo on the front panel has been replaced by the OEM vendor logo. The PSU output connector has been hot for some time and is burnt. One power transistor has also been hot since the laminate is slightly brown and the copper has lifted from the laminate.

Is it possible that someone can provide me with a high-res photo of the top and bottom covers so I can see how they are made? The print set is not very detailed in this aspect. Or if someone has a more detailed engineering drawings on the BA11-D. Maybe the print set of the 11/35 includes this? But I cannot find that either.

The the front panel is missing the aluminium sticker glued onto it. If someone could take a better high-res photo on that one as well I would appreciate it.

This is best I found on the net. But it would be good to have the photo more straight in front of the sticker and less noisy and more light.
swr_11-05_A.jpg

G'day Mattis,
I just happen to have the front panel from an /05 off the chassis so I placed it on a scanner. Luckily the badge surface was dead flat on the scanner so there should be very little (if any) perspective (the switches, being further way from the plate are out of focus).
Scanned at 600dpi with a ruler placed upside-down to get the markings against the plate, I took about 30 scans before I got it as horizontal as I could. Then saved as a lossless TIFF so the size is 11.4Mb and 5668 pixels wide.
Here is a small version of the image, let me know if you want the larger one (or resized again to a few Mb less) and I'll get it to you.

By the way I am really pleased to do this as I found your 11/04 and TU60 restoration page and video very informative the other day. I have a TU60 to work on someday and I will surely reference your efforts when I get to it, so thanks!!

Steve.
EDIT
I've trimmed it down to the badge and surrounds only, 5573 x 757 pixels, 6.15Mb.

Attachments

• DEC_PDP-11_05_DIGITAL_badge_flat_scan_resized_small.jpg
    DEC_PDP-11_05_DIGITAL_badge_flat_scan_resized_small.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Sounds like an interesting project. A BA11-D chassis was the predecessor to the much more plentiful BA11-K and is virtually identical in many respects. The covers on the BA11-D were fastened to the chassis with six screws each, three on each side of each cover. The covers on the BA11-K were fundamentally the same dimensions but of lighter gauge steel and fastened to the chassis with two screws each, one centrally located on each side of each cover. I would say you have a much better chance of finding documentation (or even real covers) of a BA11-K than the BA11-D and am almost certain that BA11-K covers would fit your chassis. Hope that helps a little.

G'day Mattis,
I just happen to have the front panel from an /05 off the chassis so I placed it on a scanner. Luckily the badge surface was dead flat on the scanner so there should be very little (if any) perspective (the switches, being further way from the plate are out of focus).
Scanned at 600dpi with a ruler placed upside-down to get the markings against the plate, I took about 30 scans before I got it as horizontal as I could. Then saved as a lossless TIFF so the size is 11.4Mb and 5668 pixels wide.
Here is a small version of the image, let me know if you want the larger one (or resized again to a few Mb less) and I'll get it to you.
Thanks a lot! I send you a PM regarding the larger file.

By the way I am really pleased to do this as I found your 11/04 and TU60 restoration page and video very informative the other day. I have a TU60 to work on someday and I will surely reference your efforts when I get to it, so thanks!!
I am glad that you find it interesting. The TU60 is a nice little device. Maybe your TU60 works directly but if it doesn't I think that you might find the TU60EXERCISER program useful when debugging the TU60. One of the main obstacles has been to find suitable media. Maybe some type of audio tapes would work but my experience is that they are to thin to whit-stand the forces of the drive.

Sounds like an interesting project. A BA11-D chassis was the predecessor to the much more plentiful BA11-K and is virtually identical in many respects. The covers on the BA11-D were fastened to the chassis with six screws each, three on each side of each cover. The covers on the BA11-K were fundamentally the same dimensions but of lighter gauge steel and fastened to the chassis with two screws each, one centrally located on each side of each cover. I would say you have a much better chance of finding documentation (or even real covers) of a BA11-K than the BA11-D and am almost certain that BA11-K covers would fit your chassis. Hope that helps a little.

Thanks. This is really good information. I do have a 11/34 which I think has the BA11-K. I need to check it.

"Maybe some type of audio tapes would work but my experience is that they are to thin to whit-stand the forces of the drive."

There's only a certain amount of volume in a standard cassette shell. When the audio tape vendors wanted to pack in more minutes of music they made the tape thinner. In addition, many of the pre-recorded tapes used acetate tape which is prone to stretching when the tape direction reverses. Data cassettes need to be 1 mil thick Mylar to avoid these headaches. Generally a high quality blank audio cassette will be 1 mil Mylar, but not always.

Hi All;
DDs, "" Generally a high quality blank audio cassette will be 1 mil Mylar, but not always. ""
If, you get a 15 or 30 minute tape, anything longer will be thinner..

THANK YOU Marty

Back