• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Network card for IIsi

vladstamate

Experienced Member
Hi all,

I got a IIsi recently that does not have the PDS network card. I saw this one on eBay but the price seems pretty high (about twice as I paid for the whole IIsi with a monitor included). Before spending that much money I need to know if:

a) that is the expected price (maybe because those cards tend to be rare
b) seems to be having an empty socket in the main board, is that normal?
c) are there other places where I can get a card like that from?

Regards,
Vlad.

PDS cards for the IIsi+SE/30 are not common, no. That price is a little high IMHO, but you may do better by getting a IIsi NuBus adapter (especially if it has the 68882 FPU) and a regular NuBus NIC.

The empty socket is for an FPU. They are not always populated, and it doesn't affect the operation of the card.

Looks like the answer is yes. I think you were right: a PDS-2-NuBus adapter + NuBus network adapter is cheaper than that PDS NIC (and I can get an FPU). Thank you.

You could also get an AppleTalk to Ethernet gateway that supports MacIP. That would allow you to do TCP/IP networking over your serial port, which would enable you to use your NuBUS slot for a video card or accelerator. Quite a few Dayna Etherprints on eBay. A bit pricey at $30 to $40, but it would get your IIsi networked and save you a NuBUS slot.

Not for the networking part. MacIP is built into MacTCP and OpenTransport. Set your Network control panel to Printer or Modem port, then set MacTCP or OpenTransport to MacIP.

The bridge itself may need software. There looks to be at least 2 Daynas on there that include the software, one is $40 and the other is $68.

However, if you ask around on here or over at 68kmla.org someone is sure have copies of the software somewhere. Then you can pick up a cheaper Dayna.

The Dayna Etherprint gimzos are EtherTalk (Ethernet) to LocalTalk bridges (not gateways). AFAIK, they will not function as a MacIP gateway/router. The proper hardware do this considerably more expensive. In the long run you be much better off and much more cost effective to find an Ethernet card for the IIsi in my opinion.
Rick

Oh, I thought the Dayna supported MacIP.

Well, his other option is a Farallon Etherwave. They're generally much cheaper than GatorBox or Fastpath, but I haven't seen one on eBay lately.

Back