• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Reviving the PDP-12 at the RICM

Hi All;
M-Thompson, You seem to (along with a few others) be at the right place at the right time..
Congratulations !!!!
I am awaiting some Photo's..

THANK YOU Marty

We have been chasing this system for more than 2 years, so in this case persistence got the system.

I couldn't resist cleaning up the front panel first.
PDP-12_Front-Panel.jpg

The system is very new (relative to other PDP-12s) so the KF12 and DF12 options were pre-wired at the factory.

ASR33
M36 #696
MC #619
MEM #822
PC8E #SP57779
PC04 #SP15627
TU56 #8698
KW12A #646
VR12 Scope
LP01FA 5060 DP2310 #739, 80 Column, 64 Character
DW8E-PC Populated for Posibus I/O Bus Converter
4x M7102, 1x M7171
M841 LE8-0 LE8-FA LP01
M7104-YA, M7105, M7106, RK8F RK05
M840, PC8E PC04
M8320 Bus Loads
RX02
RK05

Options: AD12 Analog to Digital
AG12 Additional PreAmps
AM12 Expanded Multiplexer
DP12-B Teletype Data Phone, EIA Levels, Missing M706 in MN9, M707 in MN10
DR12 Relay Panel
EM12
EP12
KE12 Extended Arithmetic Element
KF12 Priority Interrupt.
KW12-A Programmable Real-Time Clock
MC12 Memory Extension Control
TC12-F LINCtape Control
VC12 Scope Control

Oh, that's the machine form Leesona. How the heck did you find out it was even there?

Last edited:
Oh, that's the machine form Leesona. How the heck did you find out it was even there?

The engineer that operated it since it was new bought it from Leesona when they were finished with the project. He has had it since then, and offered it to us. We only had to move it about 10 miles!

Almost done reforming the capacitors and getting ready for a smoke test.
It hasn't been powered on since 1991.

This system even has an Omnibus chassis for the PC04, RK05, and LP01.
We got the LP01 printer too.

PDP-12_Reforming-Capacitors.jpg

Hi All;

"" No smoke. ""
Great News !!
"" Memory doesn't work. "" Is it core ??
"" Lights on console are nice. "" Picture, Please..

THANK YOU Marty

It is pretty cool. I wonder why they choose that particular color scheme. Was that the only factory color scheme?

I would enjoy having a machine with the green color scheme, but the PDP-12 seems too exotic ($) for me now. I sure don't mind seeing pictures of them, though!

Hi All;
M-Thompson, I would guess next is a bulb check..
Is the PDP 12, kind of like a Dual PDP 8 ??
Are any of the Boards the same/similiar, that You could check them in one of Your 8's ??

THANK YOU Marty

Is the PDP 12, kind of like a Dual PDP 8 ??

If memory serves, they are both a LINC machine and what equates to a PDP-8/I in one cabinet. It's pretty much a modernized version of the LINC-8.

I have also seen PDP-12's sold with a orange or a blue theme so they didn't just sell in green, but it was the most commonly selected color.

If you are referring to cataracts as screen rot, that's a really easy fix.

Without putting my hands on it I can't say for sure but that looks like mold growing between the CRT and the glass cover. Not at all uncommon with stuff left in an uncontrolled environment here in Florida. If that's what it is, you're going to have to wipe down the surfaces with something like Lysol and a soft cloth. Hopefully it won't be too hard to disassemble in a non-destructive way. Be very careful in selecting cleaning products. From personal experience, some are known to etch glass.

It's called Cataracts to the TV collectors. The PVA material between the tube face and the blast shield decays with age, leaving the spotty mess you see there.
There's a complete video on how to remove it here, and here's some photos when I did the same to my VR201.

CGS_0221.jpg

CGS_0222.jpg

CGS_0223.jpg

CGS_0224.jpg

CGS_0225.jpg

CGS_0227-1.jpg

CGS_0228.jpg

CGS_0230.jpg

I see it a lot in old terminals and video displays. No make or model is immune to it.

Last edited:
Back