• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

WTB: 4MB 30pin SIMM 60ns or 70ns preferred but willing to consider 80ns

You're funny it also states systems were selling with 8megs already installed.

Good point, I wonder how spot prices compared to contract prices back then, though I was specifically referring to the sub-$1000 market that probably still mostly used 486s for example.

Last edited:
$400 for 4megs stated on that page does seem a bit high though. I recall paying that much for 4mb of sipps for my original 286/16 in 1990-91. When someone gave me a 486 mobo with 4megs of ram I just desoldered the pins off and used them as 30pin simms.

$400 for 4megs stated on that page does seem a bit high though. I recall paying that much for 4mb of sipps for my original 286/16 in 1990-91.

Yea, the source I quoted put the price at $11.50 for 4Mbit chips at the beginning of 1996, which means $100 would make more sense.

$400 for 4megs stated on that page does seem a bit high though. I recall paying that much for 4mb of sipps for my original 286/16 in 1990-91. When someone gave me a 486 mobo with 4megs of ram I just desoldered the pins off and used them as 30pin simms.

Sounds about right. I remember I bought a 486-33 in 1992 and the std. price for RAM was about $100/MB.

Looking in my stash, I have four Evergreen CAPserver4xx (425 and 440) boards (Ti 486SXLC2 chips on a 386SX SBC, essentially), all but one with four 4MBx1 Parity 30-pin SIMMs, and one with two. So that's 14 of them. As my dad would have said, 'they're not for sale, but they can be bought.' Well, a few of them at least. I may have more, but my big box of SIMMs (25-30 pounds) is stored deep in a stack right now, so I don't know. Most of those are 256k and 1MB for the 30-pin sticks, and 1MB, 4MB, and 8MB for the 72-pin.

Thanks everyone. I was able to get my hands on 40 sticks of 70ns FM Parity 30pin SIMMs. That should hopefully last me for a very long time....

Back