• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

full height 360k floppy drives

The Osborne 1 Technical Manual even lists the 7 pins that carry power on the 34 pin connector. Considering how popular the Osborne 1 was, I expected to hear about such a unconventional design back then.

Note to self: Do not plug a pc-style floppy drive in to an Osborne 1. I'd imagine that would go FOOM.

Note to self: Do not plug a pc-style floppy drive in to an Osborne 1. I'd imagine that would go FOOM.
That's precisely how I remember that I had a machine that had them. I swapped drives with my 5160 for some reason and that was the end of that.

To add insult to injury I lost all my data the next day when I plugged the power connector into my ESDI drive upside down when I hadn't realised the plastic shell round the Molex pins had split. :mad:

And I suspect that could have more than one outcome depending on exactly what you mean by "smoke and learn". :)

Last edited:
interesting. well I pretty much have no use for this thing seeing as I don't own an osborne

IIRC, Curtis (a member here) was looking for a good working Osborne drive. You might contact him and see if he's interested in making a deal.

smp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy's_law

It's one of the reasons we have connectors that cannot be plugged in backwards without application of BFI (Brute Force & Ignorance).

Which gives rise to the corollary "no system is foolproof given a sufficiently great fool." ;-)
One of my clients, a dentist, no less, successfully plugged the molex power connector into his new IDE HD backwards. And this is a person with notably above average intelligence and ability. :) Needless to say he fried about half of that machine.

I've seen quite a few of these connectors that will allow that. In fact I've replaced the connector on a few drives over the years where the keyed plastic part was completely gone.

Back