• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

North Dallas Area Retro Computer Group Meets Saturday June 6th at 3:00PM

Still haven't got another necessary person to agree to that meeting.

I agree with your comment about the meeting time. Its better than previous meetings though. I'd have preferred 1:00PM... time to drive home without dropping vintage computers in the darkness.

Previously:
North Dallas Area Retro Computer Group
There is a proposed meeting now for Saturday July 4th at 3:00PM

On the Fourth of July? Really?

. . Dallas Makerspace
. . 1825 Monetary Lane,
. . Suite 104,
. . Carrollton, TX

http://www.meetup.com/North-Dallas-Area-Retro-Computing/events/suggested/

Arlington Computer Museum Liquidataion Sale

Arlington Computer Museum Liquidataion Sale

68K: Are you familiar with the Arlington Computer Museum that is closing and selling off its stock? The VCF Chat posted a 2 month old Craigslist URL about it (last updated 17 days ago).

https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/syd/4990079844.html

Are you in the Arlington area or Ft.Worth proper? We have some Dallas Retro Computer members from Arlington and wanted to find someone that had been there or could scout it locally for us to see if anything good was left to buy.

If you're down that way, might be worth a look. If they still have impressive stock, I'll grab a stash of cash and drive to the museum. :)

To the original topic, it would have been great if you guys came to the meetup. Only two of us showed, but a couple more people dropped in from the space. I brought my Superboard II, plus Vince Briel's SBIII. I don't think I'll be able to make a July 4 meetup, but would like to schedule another before too long. If the July 4 meetup happens, then early August, otherwise perhaps July 18?

If they had a Xerox 820, I'd probably make the trip to buy it, but I'm more of a retro-designer than a vintage collector and restorer. I've got every system I bought back in the day, except my Xerox 820s. I don't need those but I've got all the documentation and software so getting one would fill a gap. I expect to be running all Xerox code and floppies from a retro design soon, anyway.
Jim Tanner, of Tanner's Electronics in Carrollton, produced various S100 boards, as well as Ferguson's bigboard, and, I believe, helped work out the deal with Xerox for the 820 (which was a bigboard clone in a box). When the 820 flopped, he later bought hundreds of surplus 820 PC boards from Xerox, and sold them in his store. Perhaps he may know where you can find something.

I quit MEETUP.COM. It wouldn't let me acknowledge that I'd attend meetings nor post a message saying that I was coming to the meeting despite the stupid website not working.

If the Dallas Retro Computer group can let non-MEETUP.COM people into the meeting, then I'll show up.

I suspect the previous group switched to facebook.com instead of meetup.com.

I think July 11th made more sense. Fourth of July was a bad pick.

I am on the fence about meetup. It seems pretty cumbersome for what it does. But since people use it to find stuff, it seems reasonable to keep it. I didn't start the meetup group, but volunteered to keep it going because I'd really like to have something down here.

Of course all comers are welcome. Now that I know about this subforum, I'll post all future meetups here for discussion.

BTW, I agree July 11 would be good, but I happen to working that day, so out of self interest, I didn't propose it. The July 4 meetup was proposed by another member. I don't think many will be able to attend it, though.

I had to bow out for this weekend (usual 4th stuff).

My wife is having surgery the following Friday and that will tie me up for at least a few months :(

Man, I hate to hear EDS is going out of business.

I usually make 2 "pilgrimages" a year to the DFW area to get my electronics fix at Fry's and EDS.

Now I probably won't travel there as often and just use internet to order stuff.

Curtis

I'm in Fort Worth, but I am very familiar with Electronic Discount Sales. I now own some of those items :)

I was actually there yesterday to film what they had left for my youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OpuGctwi4w

and my previous visit in March:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIy__NX9SvQ

Back