• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Thomas' IBM 5150 + 5161 for possible sale

bettablue

Veteran Member
Hey there everyone... As most of you know, I love my vintage computer systems, especially Alice, my IBM 5150 system. So you also would know that I don’t write this today lightly. But, as you can see by the title of this thread, I am contemplating the sale of "Alice", my IBM 5150 system including an IBM 5161 expansion unit, 5153 CGA color monitor, 5152 Graphics printer, w/ 1/2 box of paper, printer stand, MS green eyed mouse, etc... I haven’t made up my mind completely yet, yet I still wanted to see where things go before I do put the system up for sale on E-Bay. Of course, if I do decide to sell, and someone has the funding in hand, and is ready to buy, I may not list the system on E-Bay, rather, I will make the sale blindly to the group. However, E-Bay will be my first choice. I will of course, add E-Bays fees to the total sale price, if we decide to go that route.

Recent health issues have forced me to make some drastic decisions regarding all of my vintage computer systems and components. As most of you know, I have over four years of my life invested in refurbishing this entire system, including collecting and maintaining as many IBM labelled peripherals as possible, including the most important peripheral; a completely refurbished IBM 5161 expansion unit.

Alice comes with dual full height Tandon 5.25" floppy drives installed into the PC, with most of the upgrade cards installed into the expansion unit. The AST-Six-Pack Plus is still installed directly into the main PC. Both the PC and expansion unit have new power supplies swapped out recently. There are very few signs of physical usage, with only the occasional tiny chip of paint along one of the front edges on the PC, and expansion unit cases. The expansion unit itself has dual full height Control Data 30 MB hard discs originally from an original Compaq Portable.

Asking price is $2,500.00 or best offer plus shipping and packaging. If you would also prefer, I can and will ship the system as freight via UPS, or you wish, and you're in the Eugene OR area, you may also save money by coming by to pick up the system yourself. I would also prefer to have the system picked up as well.

Here is a link to the 5150's specifications data, and a document I wrote once the system had been completed about a year ago. The system has DOS 3.3 installed, and includes the original manuals I was able to collect as I was assembling the system. I believe there is also a photo or two located at the page being linked to. The documentation included in this link should be enough for any prospective buyer. However, if you have any questions regarding the system, please feel free to reply to me via private message or directly to the thread. I will respond likewise.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?46159-IBM-5150-(Alice)-Specs&highlight=Alice.

I look forward to hearing from anyone interested.

So sorry to hear this Thomas! Alice is definitely my most favorite IBM PC ever, I've been watching you rebuild it on Facebook and your website for years. It's well worth the money to whoever buys it.

Hi my friend! I would hate to see you loose Alice due to health issues. I am so sorry that you must part with her. Best of luck to you with the sale. Your longtime buddy down south.

I'm so sorry to hear that you are still having health issues. I know how much you like your machines so it's got to be difficult to have to sell one. I wish you my best.

Heather

Well, I got lucky and I am able to keep my baby. I want to thank all of you who showed interest and encouragement. Your praise is also greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Back