• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Connecting to a MicroVAX 3100 Model 80

vladstamate

Experienced Member
Hi all,

I have this nice MicroVAX 3100 Model 80 that powers on. I would like to connect to it somehow and see what it is doing. I opened it up and it has no less than 4 RZ25E HDDs! And a tape drive. This is a picture of the back of it.

1) I can recognize a BNC like connector, few SCSI connectors, but not much else. Can someone knowledgeable point some out on the back?

I have a few ISA network cards with BNC connectors as well as cable and terminators. However I was hoping for some kind of serial connection like say a PDP 11.

2) What are my chances to talk to it and how?

Regards.
Vlad.

IMG_0608.jpg

Hi all,

I have this nice MicroVAX 3100 Model 80 that powers on. I would like to connect to it somehow and see what it is doing. I opened it up and it has no less than 4 RZ25E HDDs! And a tape drive. This is a picture of the back of it.

1) I can recognize a BNC like connector, few SCSI connectors, but not much else. Can someone knowledgeable point some out on the back?

I have a few ISA network cards with BNC connectors as well as cable and terminators. However I was hoping for some kind of serial connection like say a PDP 11.

Regards.
Vlad.

attachment.php

Well. I'm no uVax expert, but that blue DB25 looks like an RS232 plug...I'll see if I can dig up some paper on it,,,
gwk

Hi all,

Regards.
Vlad.

View attachment 25747

1) Next to the BNC is an AUI connector. A CentreCom210TS or equivalent can provide a 10baseT connection. Switch between the two controls which one is active.
The 50 pin Centronics port (lower right) is SCSI A bus connected internally to the RZ and Tape drives. I normally use a SCSI terminator on this port.

2) MMJ Port 3 is the console port - See http://h71000.www7.hp.com/faq/vmsfaq_025.html for information on how to make a cable.

See http://manx.classiccmp.org/collections/antonio/dec/a0574hr1.pdf for basic console commands.

MicroVAX 3100 Platform
BA42-B Enclosure Maintenance
EK-A0511-MG.001
http://manx.classiccmp.org/collections/mds-199909/cd1/vax/a0511mg1.pdf

Page 1-4, Figure 1-2 Controls, Indicators, Ports, and Connectors
Page 1-5, Table 1-1 Functions of the Controls, Indicators, Ports, and Connectors

On the Model 80 the console port is either MMJ port 0 or MMJ port 3 depending on the position of the break/enable switch.

Page 2-7, Table 2-3 Terminals Settings

Set the console terminal to 9600,N,8,1

As has been said, you'll need an MMJ-to-D-shell adapter to enable serial console access. Luckily, there's at least one DEC-head on this forum who can hack them up (Lou, where're you at?) so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Thank you all for the help. This is the information I was looking for. Seems that as long as I can get a MMJ connector with a cable attached to it I can solder the other end into a DB25 (or DB9) and connect it to a terminal.

For my similar system with the switches the way they are you'd attach the serial cable to the slot marked "3", other end to your terminal. I don't have the exact same as you but this should help:
http://vintagecomputer.net/digital/MicroVAX-3100/DEC_MicroVAX-3100_system_rear.jpg

Get a CentreCom 210T to connect to an ethernet cable so you can telnet to the outside world, once you get the terminal running.

I found if you connect an original DEC PC to a MicroVAX and use a mid-90's terminal program you get more "info" when the system boots. You get to choose your language, I'd have to re-check to see if there is anything else. Not sure how that all works compared to a VT terminal.

I got lucky with my MicroVAX and ended up getting a VT525 terminal with RJJ cables so setting it up is easy. Never tried the serial ports.

Hello!
It's pretty easy to build a MMJ-DB9 cable, just use this diagram
attachment.php

It's a three-cable connection, you can use a simple RJ11 cable by stripping out the the lock pin. Then you need to set up a 9600 8n1 connection (usually) and just connect to it. You should see 'KA-*something*' at your prompt, which is the processor ID, followed by some hex codes. This is the initial test sequence. Then you should get dropped to the '>>>' prompt. From there, type 'HELP', and go on. To see devices do 'SHOW DEV', and to boot use 'B *devname*'

Hope it helps!
Bye,
~Jack

Attachments

• mmj_pin_name.png
    mmj_pin_name.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 7
Back