• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Patience is good...

Mornsgrans

...but waiting more than two days for unlocking a posting of a newbie by a moderator is useless and boring.
A moderator-crew which is offline for two days or longer is a bad team, even the individuals have their own business.

Thank you, but i don't need that. - Please remove my account.

With Kind Regards

Mornsgrans

Mine took 14, but yeah I agree, it seems excessive. Seems like there must be a better way.

What would you suggest that's better? Saying that there must be a better way without making any concrete proposal is about as good as...... Well I won't get into that. :)

Lol, I don't know! But there has to be! How about making it five posts? Do spammer bots really keep trying after five posts? I mean, I'm assuming that mods are reading the posts before they approve them, wouldn't it be pretty obvious by the first post whether a person was a spammer bot or a real human? Seems like the mods can probably be trusted in their judgement between what's a bot and what's not.

I don't moderate any Forums, but on the Yahoo Groups I moderate the folks are generally unlocked after one on topic post. The usual cause of spamming is hijacked accounts. Perhaps the

I also try and get multiple moderators , some in Europe and some in the Americas.

But leave any hole and you find folks hi-jacking your web site...

What about 'real human' hackers? Bots may be looking to SPAM us but hackers may be looking at getting into accounts. Can you sniff them out by their first post?

I dunno, seems a bit like paranoia to me. Other forums don't seem to have this problem. But hey, if I can help by volunteering to approve posts and at least keep the process moving, I'd be more than happy to do so!

Do you have any idea how much assorted crap pounds a place like this... on a regular basis?

Ahhhhhhh... ignorance is bliss. :)

Ha, I admit I don't, but like I said, I don't see other forums doing this. Is there something about vintage computing that just begs for cyberattack? You know, besides outdated and unprotected operating systems and all that. ;)

Ha, I admit I don't, but like I said, I don't see other forums doing this. Is there something about vintage computing that just begs for cyberattack? You know, besides outdated and unprotected operating systems and all that. ;)

Well, that's the rules. You are always free to start your own site or go somewhere else. Ceases to be a point of contention once your on-board, doesn't it.

Just seems like an unnecessary hurdle and I think it's hurts membership numbers. This place is fantastic and I hate to think of people giving up on it because of a Draconian sign-up process.

But hey, it's not my house, so those that own it are certainly entitled to do as they please.

Just seems like an unnecessary hurdle and I think it's hurts membership numbers. This place is fantastic and I hate to think of people giving up on it because of a Draconian sign-up process.
The way I see it is like this. It weeds out those who aren't really serious about being here or have no real idea what really goes on here as well as all the SPAMers, BOTS, Trolls and other rubbish types. Anyone who's serious and has something worthwhile to contribute will stick around long enough to get past the short trial period. FWIW, 'membership numbers', as you put it, don't mean squat if the members are comprised of a bunch of useless SPAMers, Trolls or otherwise undesirable pests.

It used to be that this forum got spam-bombed quite regularly. It's gotten a lot better in the last couple of years and my hat's off to the moderators who put in the thankless work to keep it clean of advertisements of email addresses, stolen credit card numbers and other garbage. So, whatever's being done is, to this forum member, working very well.

A minor point: Shouldn't this post, which is about forum administration, be under "Vintage Computer Forum Support"?

It used to be that this forum got spam-bombed quite regularly. It's gotten a lot better in the last couple of years and my hat's off to the moderators who put in the thankless work to keep it clean of advertisements of email addresses, stolen credit card numbers and other garbage. So, whatever's being done is, to this forum member, working very well.

A minor point: Shouldn't this post, which is about forum administration, be under "Vintage Computer Forum Support"?

Probably.

Well it's an open offer. If a mod is looking for someone to sift through posts to cut down on the time it takes for them to be approved, I'd be more than happy to do so.

I appreciate the offer but I think we have things covered for the most part.

We get very few complaints from new users requiring moderation. I think the world would be a better place if people would be more patient and give the benefit of the doubt slightly more often.

I appreciate the offer but I think we have things covered for the most part.
You guys do a fantastic job keeping this place clean. I can't even imagine what it might look like in here without the effort you put into this forum.

We get very few complaints from new users requiring moderation.
I'd be willing to bet some of those complaints are coming from the SPAMers, Trolls and Hackers, themselves.

Back