• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Packard Bell Platinum I

GiGaBiTe

Veteran Member
I received one of these machines from a customer today and I'm wondering if anyone is interested in it before I haul it off to the recycling center.

(I don't have a photo of it yet, so here's a stock one for reference)
150735280598.jpg

Specs:
http://pbclub.pwcsite.com/wiki/index.php?title=Platinum_I

(I upgraded the VRAM from 1 MB to 2 MB with some spare DRAM chips I had lying around)

As for system RAM, I'll stuff however much I have lying around. I should be able to get 64MB into it.

The case is in alright shape. It has some scuffing and minor scratches all over it, as well as some browning in the rear that would need a retr0brite treatment. As for the hardware, I'm sure everyone knows Packard Bell's reputation by now. I got the machine to boot into Windows 98SE, and it seems stable, but it has various driver issues that are preventing the mouse and sound from working. I don't have any PS/2 Mice, just those silly PS/2 to USB adapters, which could be causing problems. As for the sound, it's one of those massive ISA combo cards that has the sound chip, modem, etc. on it.

As for how much I want for it.. nothing. I'm willing to ship anywhere within the 48 states as long as you pay the freight. The last time I checked, something of its size was around $40 for 3rd class freight. Though I can do UPS or Fedex if you prefer.

If anyone is interested, I'll post pictures of it.

That sounds very interesting to me. Is there anything you want for it? I know you said you wanted nothing but if there is something you would like that I can provide, I would do so in trade.

The only thing I really need are cache and tag chips for my Performa 600, but those are extremely rare.

The only source I found is from dead IIvx motherboards.

I have a couple performa machines. What do the chips look like? I don't really use my macs much. I was actually thinking about selling a couple of Macs that I have. If you can show me the chips, I will look and see if I have them for you.

Would they be on a Macintosh IIci cache card? I have one of those sitting here. sadly the IIci died a horrible death and was not salvageable. it has 4 chips labelled MT5C64080J and three chips labelled P4C116-20JC.

According to Unknown_K here:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?47992-Performa-600-Cache&p=371290#post371290

They're:

SRAM 8Kx8: CY7C185-25VC 9251 15559Z
TAG: ATT7C174J-15 9250K 40

And they go here:

W6HPz4Sh.jpg

So basically four SRAMs and two TAG SRAM. I don't know if any substitutes would work, but I'd rather not try. SMD soldering isn't my strong point and I'd probably only have one shot to get it right.

I also have no idea if the motherboard would actually see the cache and use it if it was installed. I've scoured the web and haven't seen any attempts at even trying to install cache on a Performa 600. I could be doing something completely pointless, but I don't know unless I try it.

Rats. I don't have those. I'm looking for an ATT7C174P-12 for my Legend 115 Plus and I cannot seem to find them. If I had them I would happily give them to you. Is there anything else? I like the Packard Bell machine, but I would really like to offer something for it in return on top of paying for shipping.

Some other things I'm looking for:

Radeon 9000/9200/9250 PCI Edition (not AGP) or
Geforce FX 5200/5500 PCI Edition (Not AGP)

MC68882FN40A with 40 MHz oscillator chip.

Or you can just toss money at me if you want lol.

I'm done cleaning the machine and putting it back together.

The original 1.2 GB Maxtor drive died (what a surprise) with a loud EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, which I'm assuming is a stuck head since it won't spin. I tossed in a Seagate 8.4 GB to replace it, and surprisingly the BIOS can see all of it.

I don't have either of those in PCI (moved those on to people long ago..) and the Only MC68882FN40A I have is in use in a 030 card in an Amiga A1200. In regards to money, I don't have a lot, but if you let me know what you would like I can try and scrape it together for you quickly.

$20-40 is fine.

The fuel pump on my truck died and it's turning into an expensive nightmare. I won't be able to ship the machine until I can get this fixed, which looks to be this weekend or next week some time.

$20-40 is fine.

The fuel pump on my truck died and it's turning into an expensive nightmare. I won't be able to ship the machine until I can get this fixed, which looks to be this weekend or next week some time.

been there. its a nightmare. One word of advice, don't cheap out on the pump, if you do you'll be replacing it again in a few months

I ended up having to return the individual fuel pump and get the whole fuel pump assembly because of a damn 5 cent gasket that nobody makes.

HMmSAJ9.jpg

When I got to it, there was only about 60% of the ring gasket remaining, so I was obviously losing fuel pressure.

Can't use RTV here since gasoline dissolves it, and finding a rubber washer that's gasoline impervious to make my own is all but impossible.

Also managed to break off the fuel fill neck from the housing, that was another $160 headache.

What was supposed to be like a sub $100 fix is now $400+

I should have no problem coming up with $40 and the amount for shipping. If you can get an estimate for how much shipping to Olathe, KS 66061 would be I will see if I can get it to you here in the next couple of days if that is okay?

I can't do anything until I get my truck put back together. It's just been nightmare after nightmare of wrong parts so far.

I just wanna say thanks for the pictures, I worked on a similar machine as my first "gig".

I *finally* got my gas tank back in my truck after rebuilding the existing fuel pump assembly, so I'm closer to being able to get over to the post office.

Now I'm waiting on a new fuel neck assembly. While I could technically drive the truck now, it'd have gasoline sloshing out the filler tube onto the exhaust pipe, and we all know what happens when gas touches really hot things :p. If I'm lucky, I should have the part by the end of this week.

The PB has been cleaned up for awhile now and has a mostly working copy of Win98SE on it. I've been playing a bit of Duke3D and Quake on it.

How are those working on it? I want to play some Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny and maybe some Blade Runner. I should note that I will also use it for using a ROM programmer. I have always been curious about how to make things work with ROM chips.

Last edited:
Back